+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling in Canada - 6 months limit

MarkH

Mar 12, 2014
Dear all,

I am a student from the Netherlands and for the past 5 months I studied in Toronto. Because the Netherlands is a visa exempt country and the period was less than 6 months, I do not have a study permit (my official status is visitor). Unfortunately I had little opportunity to travel the last last 5 months, and there are still many Canadian cities and places I like to visit which I will not be able to do within the 6 months period of my initial arrival in Canada. Next week I will make a trip to NYC, I was wondering if the 6 months will be reset upon return to Canada.

I already booked a return ticket to the Netherlands for May if that makes any difference.

Does someone has experience in leaving and re-entering Canada to reset the 6 months limit? Is this possible and legal?

Hopefully someone can answer this questions

Regards
Mark Haegens

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is possible, and yes definitely legal. You may be questioned about your long term intentions since you already stayed 6 months. Yes take the return ticket to them, that might help a bit. If it is your first time doing this it may be ok, but if you keep doing it then it may look like you reside in the country permanently

MarkH

Mar 12, 2014
Thank you CanV for the quick reply! That sounds hopeful. So just to be sure, they won't say: you already spend 5 months and 2 weeks in Canada, you can only stay for 2 more weeks?

MarkH

Mar 12, 2014
So I visited Buffalo this weekend, unfortunately they did NOT re-stamp my passport upon return :(. Guess there is not much left than apply for an extension and hope they will accept.

A good friend of my visited Cuba, he also didn't receive a stamp when returning to Canada. Could it be they dont re-stamp anymore, or are we just unlucky?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's up to the individual border official if they re-stamp or let you back in based on your original visa stamp. Based on the few posts I've seen here, it seems to be 50/50 whether they re-stamp or not.

MarkH

Mar 12, 2014
Yes, based on the posts here I assumed to get a stamp... I will apply for an extension now, anyone any idea what the success rate is for extensions? I already booked a return ticket to the netherlands, I dont want to loose that money.

What if they refuse the extension, will they deport me from the country? I do I get a deadline to leave by myself. Sorry for all the question, I just like to know

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
MarkH said:
What if they refuse the extension, will they deport me from the country? I do I get a deadline to leave by myself. Sorry for all the question, I just like to know
You'll be asked to leave Canada if you are refused (not deported). If you are refused and asked to leave, you should make sure you leave within 30 days of receiving that decision.