+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling after my citizenship oath

spanishnick

Star Member
Jul 29, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi all,

I took my oath a few days ago right after the interview, during which they took my PR card after I confirmed I won't need to travel internationally for the next two weeks. I plan to travel for work in a little two weeks, and so I'm confused as to what I should be expecting from IRCC other than a certificate of citizenship that would allow me to travel internationally in two weeks.. Based on threads on this website, the certificate itself isn't sufficient and I would need to travel with a Canadian passport. This would take at least a week (express application) or a month (standard process) to obtain. Moreover, do I need to get a Canadian passport to travel if I have other travel documents? I didn't ask questions before taking the oath as I thought that my PR card would be replaced by a Canadian ID card. I envisioned that I would only need to present it at the border/airport to prove my citizenship, and would travel using my other passport.

Thank you for your help!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all,

I took my oath a few days ago right after the interview, during which they took my PR card after I confirmed I won't need to travel internationally for the next two weeks. I plan to travel for work in a little two weeks, and so I'm confused as to what I should be expecting from IRCC other than a certificate of citizenship that would allow me to travel internationally in two weeks.. Based on threads on this website, the certificate itself isn't sufficient and I would need to travel with a Canadian passport. This would take at least a week (express application) or a month (standard process) to obtain. Moreover, do I need to get a Canadian passport to travel if I have other travel documents? I didn't ask questions before taking the oath as I thought that my PR card would be replaced by a Canadian ID card. I envisioned that I would only need to present it at the border/airport to prove my citizenship, and would travel using my other passport.

Thank you for your help!
-You can get a passport even more quickly, ask at the passport office. There is some service (extra $$$) that I think can be done in 48 hours.
-You can travel OUTSIDE of Canada using your foreign passport as much as you want.
-You will NOT be able to board a plane back to Canada without your Canadian passport.*
-If you've got a Spanish passport (or other ETA-type passport), you won't be issued an ETA as a Canadian citizen. There is a small exception that in urgent cases they'll do an ETA-type exception called special authorization - see here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oath-special-authorization.794499/ - this authorizatoin will get you on the airplane.
-Worth noting on the above that can only be done a few days before, so more uncertainty, so may be better to just get your Canadian passport.
-You can travel through USA and enter via land border. You must/should tell them you're a citizen and present the citizenship certificate.

*The one exception to this is US passport holders, they'll be allowed to board.

spanishnick

Star Member
Jul 29, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi @armoured , thank you for your quick response. I'll apply for a Canadian passport then. Just confused why I was told I could travel in two weeks, without asking me to apply for a passport, thinking that I would receive an Ontario ID card to replace my passport. Thanks again!