+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling abroad after applying for citizenship

DANBR86

May 19, 2018
Hey guys...I have a question about traveling abroad after apply for citizenship. Is it mandatory that we inform via phone/webform this event. I mean, I did a short trip to USA last weekend and don't know if IRCC must take part of this. Thanks a lot!

Jayson

Champion Member
Aug 8, 2013
Hey guys...I have a question about traveling abroad after apply for citizenship. Is it mandatory that we inform via phone/webform this event. I mean, I did a short trip to USA last weekend and don't know if IRCC must take part of this. Thanks a lot!
It’s your call. There are no travel restrictions. Just check your email regularly and ask a reliable source to look after your posts.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
As otherwise observed, generally it is the applicant's call. There is NO restriction other than the PR Residency Obligation.

That said, short trips abroad pose NO issues.

The IRCC website instructs applicants to notify IRCC if they will be abroad for two weeks or more, but that is about avoiding a situation in which the applicant might not get notice in time and misses a scheduled event. If the applicant has not provided IRCC notice of when the applicant is abroad (or otherwise unavailable), the applicant bears the risk of not getting a notice on time (subject to some flexibility; tests will automatically be rescheduled, for example, and otherwise no-show applicants will usually have an opportunity to explain and have the event, even the oath, rescheduled). NOTE, however, rescheduling tends to result in inconvenience and can cause significant delays in the timeline.

Of course travel abroad is different than moving to work or reside abroad. Moving abroad while the application is pending has its own risks and pitfalls extensively discussed in numerous other topics.

Reactions: DANBR86