+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel & work with Permanent Residence card

snehabopche92

May 22, 2019
Can I work in My country of citizenship and keep my Canadian permanent resident card?
Yes,you can. its very difficult to do. you have to show that you are spending enough time to Canada as well as country of citizenship.
because on the basis of time period that you spend in country , your citizenship get decided.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Yes,you can. its very difficult to do. you have to show that you are spending enough time to Canada as well as country of citizenship.
because on the basis of time period that you spend in country , your citizenship get decided.
@canuck_in_uk provided a better answer through the link than what I've quoted above.

Basically, in order to remain a Permanent Resident of Canada one must spend 730 days in Canada in any 5 year period.
Should one fail to meet this requirement, loss is not automatic, but upon examination (by CBSA or IRCC) the process can be started to revoke PR status (and be removed from Canada).

In more direct response to the quoted post; there is no general rule on loss of citizenship as a result of not residing in the country of that citizenship. There may be cases under certain country's national laws where this is possible; but each country sets its own policies in this regard. In the case of Canadian Citizenship, this cannot be lost by not residing in Canada. This is also true for US citizenship, and many European citizenships (whilst residing outside of those respective countries). However, to obtain Canadian citizenship as a PR, there are separate residency requirements.