+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel with ICT visa

Antara2195

Jan 29, 2024
Hi,
I currently have ICT visa by my employer in India, but they are not giving deputation letter saying not position are there to work in Canada
My spouse is already in canada using ICT visa.

Can I travel with this ICT visa and at the POE (port of entry) if I submit all the documents will they give me open work permit? Or Do I need to apply seperately an Open work permit visa?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I currently have ICT visa by my employer in India, but they are not giving deputation letter saying not position are there to work in Canada
My spouse is already in canada using ICT visa.

Can I travel with this ICT visa and at the POE (port of entry) if I submit all the documents will they give me open work permit? Or Do I need to apply seperately an Open work permit visa?

Just clarifying is your spouse working in Canada for the employer who applied for the ICT?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes thats right
So the same employer does not have a job for you in Canada? How did they apply for ICT without a job for you in Canada? If there is no job your employer should be cancelling the ICT. You should be applying for an SOWP from your home country. If you try and land in Canada on your ICT you should have a job available at your employer or else you are misrepresenting your situation. You can’t arrive at the airport and travel on your ICT and switch to OWP at the airport.

Antara2195

Jan 29, 2024
So the same employer does not have a job for you in Canada? How did they apply for ICT without a job for you in Canada? If there is no job your employer should be cancelling the ICT. You should be applying for an SOWP from your home country. If you try and land in Canada on your ICT you should have a job available at your employer or else you are misrepresenting your situation. You can’t arrive at the airport and travel on your ICT and switch to OWP at the airport.
Sure thanks for the information.
When they applied my ICT at that time many positions were open but now suddenly recession hit and positions are not available

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sure thanks for the information.
When they applied my ICT at that time many positions were open but now suddenly recession hit and positions are not available
The employer is required to update IRCC if there is no longer a job in Canada during processing or before you land and ICT application should have been withdrawn. If an employee lands in Canada on a WP/ICT knowing there is no longer a job in Canada they have misrepresented their situation which could potentially become an issue later on. Same situation for employer. If employer knows that there is no longer job in Canada they need to be informing IRCC of the change is circumstances if the employee has not received their WP yet or has not landed in Canada yet.