+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel while waiting for eCoPR

Simran0711

Jan 6, 2023
Hello,
I got my permanent residency approved while in Canada and got my portal request another day. I have entered all the details and now waiting for eCoPR from last couple of weeks.
Any idea about the processing time for eCoPR and PR card. Can I travel outside Canada without eCoPR and enter again?
Thanks!

tokyotsui

Star Member
Nov 26, 2021
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24-11-2022
AOR Received.
24-11-2022
Passport Req..
27-04-2023
Reconsider travel before you have received your actual PR card. Because you have already confirmed your PR status in the portal, all your previous temporary status documents become invalid. If you travel outside of Canada and attempt to enter using commercial means you need to have a PRTD which can take weeks to process.

You can return to Canada through land border in private vehicles though. I believe the IRCC website has the required documents using this method.

Nishmaha

Star Member
May 22, 2020
Hi, I am in the same situation, I have to travel, Any idea how long it takes to get eCoPR and PR Card? I will be travelling in two months, will i get before that?

Shiva_0786

Feb 5, 2023
Reconsider travel before you have received your actual PR card. Because you have already confirmed your PR status in the portal, all your previous temporary status documents become invalid. If you travel outside of Canada and attempt to enter using commercial means you need to have a PRTD which can take weeks to process.

You can return to Canada through land border in private vehicles though. I believe the IRCC website has the required documents using this method.
hi please read his main question. You are telling hi. about PRTD but he cannot apply for PRTD until he receives eCOPR. His main question is after declaration that he is currently in canada inside portal can he leave after declaring because technically declaration only stated that he is currently in canada while declaring not that he will stay in canada. So i think that is his confusion. Will he get his eCOPR while hes outside of canada?

Nishmaha

Star Member
May 22, 2020
hi please read his main question. You are telling hi. about PRTD but he cannot apply for PRTD until he receives eCOPR. His main question is after declaration that he is currently in canada inside portal can he leave after declaring because technically declaration only stated that he is currently in canada while declaring not that he will stay in canada. So i think that is his confusion. Will he get his eCOPR while hes outside of canada?
Exactly,this is my question. Can i leave canada after declaring that i am im Canada in the portal ?

spandita

Feb 18, 2022
@Simran0711 @Nishmaha - Did you guys find any solid info about this? I am in a similar situation, where I confirmed by replying back to the PR approval mail, that I am in Canada. Now I am waiting for the PR Portal mail. I have to travel in March and am sure, I won't get a PR card before my travel date.

Nishmaha

Star Member
May 22, 2020
@Simran0711 @Nishmaha - Did you guys find any solid info about this? I am in a similar situation, where I confirmed by replying back to the PR approval mail, that I am in Canada. Now I am waiting for the PR Portal mail. I have to travel in March and am sure, I won't get a PR card before my travel date.
I recently Crossed the border by road, I told the officer that i have CoPR, he did not care, all he saw was my passport and work permit and I was good. I think there is much confusion and warnings in the forum than the actual reality. To me if you have declared in the portal or waiting for CoPR , you can very well Travel. If you are flying in , you need PR card or PRTD, by Road, CoPR is more than enough, and they dont even care to check as long as you give your work permit

spandita

Feb 18, 2022
Yes, that's what my understanding is - if you are coming via road, then it's fine though that is completely at the officer's discretion otherwise you need a PR card or PRTD. In my case, I don't have a US visa and would be flying in. So will either postpone the travel or will apply for PRTD from my home country.

Pjjack

Star Member
Feb 23, 2021
Hey all, I got my portal email 1 today but I’m currently in Mexico. I’ll be returning to Canada tomorrow evening. Would it be okay if I just wait and respond to the email once I return? Or should I let them know I’m outside the country and wait for a new email?

stickmanpj

Oct 14, 2021
Fernie, BC
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-10-2021
Hey all, I got my portal email 1 today but I’m currently in Mexico. I’ll be returning to Canada tomorrow evening. Would it be okay if I just wait and respond to the email once I return? Or should I let them know I’m outside the country and wait for a new email?
Hi, I might run into this same thing in the near future (HOPEFULLY), how did it go?

brb2288

Star Member
Aug 27, 2020
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
05-12-2022
LANDED..........
12-01-2024
Hi can we travel without ecopr
If you have valid visa then yes you can travel until you receive copr, after ecopr you can only travel to US via road until you get PR card.

classico33

Jul 4, 2023

Does greyhound count as a private vehicle?