+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel while PR/OWP in process

Cindy2010

Mar 17, 2010
Can one leave Canada for a holiday while their OWP/PR is in process? Or do they need to a valid work permit still while away??????

bbggliz

Star Member
Oct 16, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Cindy. Do you still work with the same Employer? How long until your WP expires?

As I know, you can leave Canada for holidays, but your WP doesn't give you the re-entry. It depends of the Immigration officer. They may ask you why do you want to comeback if you don't have a job or your WP is expired. Also depend of where are you from you might need a entry visa. I applied last year on june for my OWP and after that I went for 3 days to USA (on summer). When I came back they didn't ask me many questions, but I din't want to take a chance going again on December because my WP expired April and didn't have a job.
Good luck!

Cindy2010

Mar 17, 2010
No, would not be working for same employer as the contract will have ended. So basically, with no new valid work permit, but papers for PR in progress, one can't leave Canada?

bbggliz

Star Member
Oct 16, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think so.
It's frustrated. Isn't it?. If you are a Caregiver sign up in "Livein_caregiver@yahoo.com" Facebook account, we are trying to get a bigger group.

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
Cindy2010 said:
...with no new valid work permit, but papers for PR in progress, one can't leave Canada?
No, if you do not have valid status in Canada you must leave. However, you can always apply for a visitor status from within Canada before travelling.

bbggliz

Star Member
Oct 16, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ ae03yy. I phoned CIC and they said it is OK to stay in Canada while your application is in process, and you don't have to leave even though your visa has expired. But If you do not have ANY application in process, you have to leave.

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
interesting response. Thks for the input

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You can leave but coming back would be the problem. You should have valid TRV and WP and an employer.

Cindy2010 said:
No, would not be working for same employer as the contract will have ended. So basically, with no new valid work permit, but papers for PR in progress, one can't leave Canada?