+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel while a decsion on PGWP is pending

mayah1209

Aug 3, 2023
I am currently living in Canada and am waiting for a decision on my PGWP application. I have a valid SW-1 visa which expires in 2024 that I was issued when coming to Canada to study. My study permit expires on August 15.

If I leave Canada while a decision on my pgwp is pending can I use the same SW-1 visa to re-enter?

Also, will the same visa allow re-entry if I get my PGWP while I'm abroad?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am currently living in Canada and am waiting for a decision on my PGWP application. I have a valid SW-1 visa which expires in 2024 that I was issued when coming to Canada to study. My study permit expires on August 15.

If I leave Canada while a decision on my pgwp is pending can I use the same SW-1 visa to re-enter?

Also, will the same visa allow re-entry if I get my PGWP while I'm abroad?
You need a TRV to re-enter. Your study permit expires 90 days after graduation.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So even if I have graduated and my study permit has expired. My valid study visa should allow me re-entry with a post-graduate work permit or do I need work visa?
That is why I asked you if you have a TRV. Isn’t a SW-1 to work as a co-op student? If it is a TRV then you should be able to re-enter. A S-1, study permit is not a TRV and doesn’t allow re-entry. I am not familiar with SW-1. Others will have to comment.

Natheer H

Sep 7, 2023
As long as you do then you are okay.
Hello There,

I have a question, I applied for my PGWP on 14 Sep and I got a confirmation and a letter confirming that I am allowed to work till 2024 March.
my status in Canada already expired as a student and I want to travel back home and I have to apply for TRV ?
Is this possible?

Or should I wait for my PGWP?

Please help.

Thank you,