+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel waiting for BOWP

magnusl

Jun 1, 2018
Hi all,
I'm living in BC and applied for PR under BC PNP using paper based application. Now, me and my wife, have BOWP that will expire on September 20th and I will apply for a new BOWP as soon as possible but we are going to travel on July returning in August.

Timeline:
July/5th -> Travel to Brazil
August/1th-> back to Canada
September/20th-> BOWP Expire

I prefer to avoid being on implied status, because I will lose MSP coverage and will need to reapply for it, so is there any problem applying to the new BOWP before travel?
The only information that I found is below, but I'm not sure if it apply to me, as I will be back before my current WP expires.

I have applied to extend my work permit. Can I travel outside Canada?
You can leave Canada and come back. However, one of three things will happen when you return to Canada.
  1. You may be allowed to come back to Canada as a visitor, if we have not yet decided to extend your work permit. If this is the case, you cannot work until you get your work permit extension. The officer at the port of entry may ask you to prove you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.
  2. You may be allowed to come back to Canada as a worker, if the officer at the port of entry finds out that we extended your work permit while you were away.
  3. You may be asked to apply for a new work permit at the port of entry.
Thank you for your help.

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Hey ..did you get more information about this issue? I am also in the same situation ..my work permit is valid till October 3rd but I have vacation plan in August..I am confused, should I apply for BOWP before leaving or after coming back as one of the requirement is to be 'in canada'.