+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to USA from Canada and enter Canada back with PGWP

Preeta511

Oct 16, 2017
Hello All,

I came to Canada to study and now I am working with my status adjusted to PGWP. I applied for TRV and it’s still in the process and delayed. However I want to know if I can visit a USA and enter back Canada with PGWP as I am still working in Canada.

Somebody advice .

Preeta511

Oct 16, 2017
Hey I only have my valid PGWP at the moment. My TRV is still under process. It’s getting delayed with COVID

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Also keep in mind of course a visit to the US would be considered non essential travel currently and whilst the current restrictions last until July 31 and mandatory quarantine August 31 it is likely given at least the situation in the US that both dates may be extended. But as above without a valid TRV cannot travel back to Canada should you leave anyway given a work permit is not a travel document, just a reason to be in Canada.

Reactions: PAINKILLER28

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Also keep in mind of course a visit to the US would be considered non essential travel currently and whilst the current restrictions last until July 31 and mandatory quarantine August 31 it is likely given at least the situation in the US that both dates may be extended. But as above without a valid TRV cannot travel back to Canada should you leave anyway given a work permit is not a travel document, just a reason to be in Canada.
1. Actually the OP wouldn't require a TRV to re=enter from the US. If s/he had a valid work permit or study permit, and only entered the US or St. Pierre et Miquelon could return to Canada without a TRV.
2. In normal times, but now all though it would be lawful, it is quite likely the US or Canada may determine it is not essential travel.

Preeta511

Oct 16, 2017
Hi

1. Actually the OP wouldn't require a TRV to re=enter from the US. If s/he had a valid work permit or study permit, and only entered the US or St. Pierre et Miquelon could return to Canada without a TRV.
2. In normal times, but now all though it would be lawful, it is quite likely the US or Canada may determine it is not essential travel.
Yes I had valid study permit and study visa earlier on but now that’s expired, which is why I applied for TRV. But the TRV process times has increased from 40-60-80-101 days now ? This situation just makes me restless.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi

1. Your correct and I always forget this rentry to Canada exception but as per 2 unlikely to be considered essential travel currently.

Nemesis_M6

Jan 28, 2020
You can leave alright, but CBSA will not let you back in without a valid visa.
Can one travel back to Canada with a PGWP (and a valid TRV) - both issued months before the pandemic? Canada.ca says that
"Your travel is essential (non-discretionary) if you’re in either of these situations:

• You have a valid work permit and normally live in Canada. This applies even if you’ve been laid off. "
Any idea what proof can one furnish to show that they normally live in Canada?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Can one travel back to Canada with a PGWP (and a valid TRV) - both issued months before the pandemic? Canada.ca says that
"Your travel is essential (non-discretionary) if you’re in either of these situations:

• You have a valid work permit and normally live in Canada. This applies even if you’ve been laid off. "
Any idea what proof can one furnish to show that they normally live in Canada?
The issue is that the OP wants to 'visit' the US and interpreting the guideline implies that would be classed as recreational/tourism so non essential at this time. Even Citizens/PRs could not go to the US for these reasons currently.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html#_Canada-U.S._border_restrictions_1