+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to US while waiting for PR card ??

nuno1313

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is it possible to travel to the states while waiting for the PR card? I read on another forum that canada border services lets you drive to the states and back (private vehicle) as long as you have COPR. Traveling via a commercial carrier (airplane, train or bus) on the other hand is not allowed.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
If you cross the land border in your own car/on foot, you can use your passport and your CoPR.

However, if you use a commercial carrier (airline, or just a bus crossing the border) you need either a PR card or a Travel Document (a complicated process you cannot start until you left Canada, so not useful if you only leave for some days).

If you are from a Visa-exempt country, the airline or bus agency might overlook things and let you board because of your passport. Once you are at the border, the CoPR is usually enough. It depends on the company though if they let you board. I read in this forum that most Europeans don't seem to have a problem boarding flights to Canada, but that is just hearsay.

nuno1313

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am planning on driving to the states next month for a couple of days to attend a wedding. I hope COPR is enough to let me back into Canada. Although I will confirm this with a Visa officer when i flagpole to do the landing formalities.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
nuno1313 said:
I am planning on driving to the states next month for a couple of days to attend a wedding. I hope COPR is enough to let me back into Canada. Although I will confirm this with a Visa officer when i flagpole to do the landing formalities.
If you are driving in your own car then you will have no issues re-entering with just your COPR.

flames21

May 12, 2015
Do not travel until you get the PR card. A friend of mine crossed the border with COPR and the border forces created a big issue and even warned him of deportation if he travels again without appropriate documents

Fitztorious

Star Member
Sep 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
flames21 said:
Do not travel until you get the PR card. A friend of mine crossed the border with COPR and the border forces created a big issue and even warned him of deportation if he travels again without appropriate documents
I've never heard of this being a problem before until now. Was he CEC or FSW? Did he need PoF? What documents was he missing?

doobie.doobie

Apr 4, 2015
flames21 said:
I crossed border once without carrying my workpermit.
CBSA is chill and asked me not to "forget" my work permit again.
And yes you can travel to States, while waiting for your PR Card. You cannot board commercial vehicles.

nagrish

Star Member
Jun 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nuno1313 said:
Is it possible to travel to the states while waiting for the PR card? I read on another forum that canada border services lets you drive to the states and back (private vehicle) as long as you have COPR. Traveling via a commercial carrier (airplane, train or bus) on the other hand is not allowed.
Why not wait and do your landing procedure on return from the US?