+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to India after oath on Indian passport

footyluv

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
You will NOT be able to take Oath if you are outside Canada. That is one of the first questions asked during the online Oath ceremony.

Once you become a citizen with the certificate you can relocate to India with your Indian passport and get your Canadian passport made there but coming back to Canada will be a little more tedious - you will have to consider cancelling your Indian passport locally, getting a stay in India visa and finally get an exit permit to leave India with your Canadian passport.
Thanks for your response.

So in that case , will this below scenario work out for me?

As soon as I get the invite for oath , I fly to Canada with my Canada PR , collect the citizenship certificate.
Then I fly to India with my Indian passport.
Once in India , I apply for the Canadian passport from local Canadian consulate in India. At the same time , I also apply for Indian entry/work visa in India.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Thanks for your response.

So in that case , will this below scenario work out for me?

As soon as I get the invite for oath , I fly to Canada with my Canada PR , collect the citizenship certificate.
Then I fly to India with my Indian passport.
Once in India , I apply for the Canadian passport from local Canadian consulate in India. At the same time , I also apply for Indian entry/work visa in India.
Theoretically that is what would work. I don't know anyone who has done this. Not sure what is the number of former Indian citizens residing in India applying for work permits / visas / OCI who would be able to vouch for a prescribed process.

I have first hand experience dealing with Ministry of External Affairs, and Human Resources trying to get my marriage certificate, and degree attested. BAD IDEA.

Current timelines for getting Canadian citizenship certificate could be a few weeks. Followed by surrender of Indian passport and then application for OCI while in Canada, so you could be looking at 3-4 months possibly.

I would strongly recommend getting guidance from MEA before choosing your option.

rajcalgary2019

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
You are right. I went through a similar process, it took me about 45 days.

The challenge comes down to this.

1. you enter india on a indian passport, they stamp the entry date on the indian passport.
2. when you leave india, they ask you for passport
a. you provide the indian passport (which has the entry stamp) and they ask you for your immigration/visa document of the country you go to - and you dont have any because they take away the PR card from you. Without a valid immigration/visa, the indian immigration will not let you through.
b. you provide the canadian passport, and the immigration officer will ask - where is your entry stamp - and you dont have any. If you present now the indian passport with the entry stamp, they will ask you the exit permit.

3. you cannot get an exit permit, if you are indian passport holder, so you have to surrender it first.
4. after surrender is complete, you can apply for stay visa (they also call it an entry visa i think) - because now that you have surrendered your indian passport, you are a "foreign" passport holder and you will need a permit to stay in india.
5. after your get your stay permit, you are now eligible for the exit permit.

Very very painful, considering nothing is formally documented.

Good luck OP @adarshadatta
Hi @
cecapplied
, where do you apply for "entry visa" from within india? I could not find that info?

rajcalgary2019

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019

1. you enter india on a indian passport, they stamp the entry date on the indian passport.
a. you provide the indian passport (which has the entry stamp) and they ask you for your immigration/visa document of the country you go to - and you dont have any because they take away the PR card from you. Without a valid immigration/visa, the indian immigration will not let you through.
b. you provide the canadian passport, and the immigration officer will ask - where is your entry stamp - and you dont have any. If you present now the indian passport with the entry stamp, they will ask you the exit permit.

3. you cannot get an exit permit, if you are indian passport holder, so you have to surrender it first.
4. after surrender is complete, you can apply for stay visa (they also call it an entry visa i think) - because now that you have surrendered your indian passport, you are a "foreign" passport holder and you will need a permit to stay in india.

@cecapplied
-Are you sure we need to apply for "entry visa" from india ? and then apply for exit permit? Have you gone via this process? appreciate your help

Mar 9, 2015
Hello There - really looking forward to your support here if someone can help:
1. My citizenship oath date is on Nov 19th
2. My PR Card has expired ( renewal PR is in process - not yet got)
3. Travel Date to India is Dec 2nd

I am exploring options that are available for me to travel:
Option a) If I get my Citizenship Certificate before my travel date, should I apply for my canadian passport on urgent processing and travel to India on my India passport and return on Canadian passport?
Option b) If I get my Citizenship Certificate before my travel date, take it with me to India, enter India on my Indian passport, apply for my Canadian passport from the Canadian High Commission in India and then travel back on my Canadian passport?

Essentially, questions I need help with:
1. Can I travel to India after my oath on my Indian passport having my Canadian passport or should I go to India and then apply for Candian passport?

I read this "Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. The grace period is only for such cases where foreign citizenship has been acquired but a foreign passport is not available to the person. It is also mentioned that it is illegal to travel on an Indian passport, where a person has obtained a foreign passport. " and I feel I should apply for Canadian passport from India once I am there. and not before I travel.

I am not keen on postponing my travel date as there is a family emergency. Would really appreciate your help if anyone knows how to navigate this.

Thanks,
Adarsha
Hi Adarsh, I have a similar issue, I would only have my canadian passport but no time to surrender Indian passport or get visa or OCI since evisa is discontinued. Did you manage to do your travel by returning with Canadian passport, was the immigration not an issue with no VISA? Apprciate your reply

noha_qc

Star Member
Apr 9, 2015
one other option that can be explored is if you have America's visitor VISA,
Go to India on Indian passport and then return to USA as you will have USA visa and immigration officer from India won't question or have an issue and then
If you have your Canadian passport with you and then from USA you can either fly or drive by road to Canada.
I am also planning to do that as my certificate is not here yet and my travel dates are approaching.

Reactions: zohebshaikh

vaas2018

Oct 13, 2018
Hello Seniors,
Once Canadian passport is received(in Canada or in India), Can you provide some more details on how OCI can be done having Entry X Visa and apply for OCI in India?

inandhana

Jul 27, 2023
one other option that can be explored is if you have America's visitor VISA,
Go to India on Indian passport and then return to USA as you will have USA visa and immigration officer from India won't question or have an issue and then
If you have your Canadian passport with you and then from USA you can either fly or drive by road to Canada.
I am also planning to do that as my certificate is not here yet and my travel dates are approaching.
hi, did this workout for you ?

Ocean.vp

Star Member
Nov 28, 2016

Hi Folks,
As this is an important topic. I have 2 followup question on this.
Following the 3 months grace period.

1. Travelling on Indian passport and then surrendering that in india is fine and then returning on Canadian passport.
I have read that after surrendering indian passport, you need to get exit stamp on Canadian passport and you can travel back. (No need to get stay visa). Kindly Clarify.

2. I have my travel plans from US. Drive from Canada to US and then flight from US to India. Has someone experienced this.
I will have Indian Passport with Valid US Visa and Canadian passport too.
If i use 1 passport for travel (Indian passport) will the US border have concerns (while issuing I 94) that for returning back to canada i am not PR but a citizen and why am i not using Canadian passport.

mm1901

Oct 7, 2023
Hello,
Is anyone aware of the process or have been in a situation to where they travelled back to India on Indian passport and have got it surrendered in India.
after surrendering the Indian passport is it possible to get the OCI from India? If yes what will be the procedure for it.
Any help on this is appreciated.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello,
Is anyone aware of the process or have been in a situation to where they travelled back to India on Indian passport and have got it surrendered in India.
after surrendering the Indian passport is it possible to get the OCI from India? If yes what will be the procedure for it.
Any help on this is appreciated.
Check @nivaan5 post.

Ocean.vp

Star Member
Nov 28, 2016
Any thoughts on this:

As this is an important topic. I have 2 followup question on this.
Following the 3 months grace period.

1. Travelling on Indian passport and then surrendering that in india is fine and then returning on Canadian passport.
I have read that after surrendering indian passport, you need to get exit stamp on Canadian passport and you can travel back. (No need to get stay visa). Is stay visa a mandate. As far as i have read Passport Surrender and Exit Certificate is needed.

2. I have my travel plans from US. Drive from Canada to US and then flight from US to India. Has someone experienced this.
I will have Indian Passport with Valid US Visa and Canadian passport too.
If i use 1 passport for travel (Indian passport) will the US border have concerns (while issuing I 94) that for returning back to canada i am not PR but a citizen and why am i not using Canadian passport.