File Transfer...
AOR2: 14-11-2014, In Process : 01-07-2015
Med's Request
07-07-2015
Med's Done....
05-07-2014
Passport Req..
07-10-2015
Hi , I have Canada tourist visa and my Spouse Application is in progress. We submitted the application in Aug 2014.
My husband is Canadian citizen and lives in Canada. I plan to visit him for 3/4 months starting Feb 2015. Is it safe to travel and live with him for few months on tourist visa while application is in progress?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
yes, of course. for outland applicants, you are free to travel without any risk to your application. you can even extend your stay as a visitor after you arrive to be there for the entire processing. the only "risk" is IF you are called for an interview, you would need to return to your home country for it.

rs3710

Star Member
May 22, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-08-2014
AOR Received.
AOR1 : 16-09-2014 , SA : 30-10-2014
File Transfer...
Med's Request
07-07-2015
Med's Done....
05-07-2014
Passport Req..
07-10-2015
Thanks for the response! I was just wondering why so many applicants especially from New Delhi forum are staying away from their spouse. They can always travel on tourist visa if they have or should apply and visit their partner.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
rs3710 said:
Thanks for the response! I was just wondering why so many applicants especially from New Delhi forum are staying away from their spouse. They can always travel on tourist visa if they have or should apply and visit their partner.
it is because once you are married, it's quite difficult to obtain a visitor's visa to canada. CIC assumes the person will not leave canada at the end of their stay, since their biggest tie (their spouse) is in canada. usually those with the best chances of getting visas can show significant proof of ties to their home country (ie: job or property).

while it's difficult, it's not impossible to do, as there are quite a few applicants who have received approval for visitor visas recently. my guess is they just assume they will be denied, so they don't apply for it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
rs3710 said:
Thanks for the response! I was just wondering why so many applicants especially from New Delhi forum are staying away from their spouse.
It's not by choice. Many apply for tourist visas and are denied.

M

mikeymyke

rs3710 said:
The reason is because it is difficult to be approved for a TRV if you're married to a Canadian. However, it is not impossible. You just need to provide lots and lots of documentation and address your "red flags". My wife and I are a perfect example, she got a multiple entry TRV for 5 years, she has some red flags, but we provided lots of docs to address them. She got her visa in half the posted time.

Also may I suggest, do not ask for 3/4 months, ask for a few weeks. You're more likely to be approved and only need to show lesser funds. My wife asked for 3 weeks, she got a multiple TRV instead.

flatblack

Apr 8, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney (+PPR docs sent to Ottawa)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2014
AOR Received.
31-07-2014 (SA), 17-08-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
24-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-12-2014
LANDED..........
12-12-2014
A follow-up question ... is a return flight ticket required if visiting?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
flatblack said:
A follow-up question ... is a return flight ticket required if visiting?
yes, it will certainly help avoid any issues at the border. generally, visitors travel with return tickets, not traveling with one will be a red flag at immigration, and even though you have a visa, they can still deny you entry. also, there are some airlines that won't let people travel without return tickets. you can always get a refundable ticket if you plan to extend your stay when you get there. .

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-MAY(aor1) / 31-JUL(aor2)
File Transfer...
15-JULY, 2014, IP- OCT-30
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
received on : 10TH NOV, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
scylla said:
It's not by choice. Many apply for tourist visas and are denied.

you are exactly right scylla....

it is nearly impossible for people applying through CHC, New Delhi to get a tourist visa approval, after application has been filed... people also refrain from applying beforehand, as New Delhi rejects majority of tourist visa applications.. this rejection raises a red flag in the actual PR application... as there is a clear question asking "were you denied a visa to canada previously"...

around 80% of applicants apply for a TRV after filing the application for sponsorship... and to tell you the truth, I have seen only one person get approved among all the 2013 and 2014 applicants.......

wish you all the best for your TRV rs3710

best of luck,

SAMMY

rs3710

Star Member
May 22, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-08-2014
AOR Received.
AOR1 : 16-09-2014 , SA : 30-10-2014
File Transfer...
Med's Request
07-07-2015
Med's Done....
05-07-2014
Passport Req..
07-10-2015
sbag_in said:

it is nearly impossible for people applying through CHC, New Delhi to get a tourist visa approval, after application has been filed... people also refrain from applying beforehand, as New Delhi rejects majority of tourist visa applications.. this rejection raises a red flag in the actual PR application... as there is a clear question asking "were you denied a visa to canada previously"...

around 80% of applicants apply for a TRV after filing the application for sponsorship... and to tell you the truth, I have seen only one person get approved among all the 2013 and 2014 applicants.......

best of luck,

SAMMY
Hi , Thanks for the response. I already have a TRV. I had applied for it before we got married :)

M

mikeymyke

That's really great. IMO, I think its harder to be approved if you're just a fiance/boyfriend/girlfriend, instead of being married, even though many people think the opposite. The reason I say this is because CIC will think you're going to get married in Canada on the TRV, meaning instead of staying in Canada temporarily (as is the main purpose of a TRV), the applicant will stay in Canada indefinitely until the inland PR application is finished.

Mind you, this is technically allowed by CIC, but its usually something they frown upon, especially for people from non visa exempt countries

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
sbag_in said:

best of luck,

SAMMY
This is not a problem in itself. In fact, I think it would be very weird and raise suspicion without any TRV attempts. If you're in a serious relationship with someone, you want to visit them, and meet their family and friends. Tons of failed attempts would raise some eyebrows, but having one or two shows a committed, normal, healthy relationship.

My husband got a TRV in 2010 and travelled with me at Christmas to my parents' house. But then when we applied in 2012 (I was still living with him in his country) they denied him, sighting not sure he will leave the country. Go figure. He had already proven himself and travelled to Canada for 3 weeks with me. Sometimes, immigration Canada has zero logic.

Anyway, since you have a TRV already, enjoy your visit! Hopefully pr follows shortly after!

madam-m

Star Member
Mar 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my experience,u don't need to have return ticket.
I first submitted TRV,then,we apply for spouse sponsorship. and in couple of months I decided to go in Canada,and visit my husband.I didn't have return ticket,I wonted to stay6months. On a border visa officer ,sow my file,and he told me that I can stay 6months and then if I wont, I need to extend my stay.He guide me. That is in the end what I did it,in mean time I extend my stay.Nobody ask me for return ticket,for any other things,or documents.
Those things are changeable.Even if u go,maybe u ll need to come back emergent,or to change yr plan.Even you yourself in that very moment don't know what you ll do.

In that moment I didn't know about this forum,I did go totally relax.If I knew about this forum back then,and read all frighten stories,and bunch of documents that u have to have with you,i wd be deadly frighten,and visa officer ll notice that.

Although this forum helps me a lot,and I like to read the stories,and participate,sometimes it is not so wise to believe in everything what is written. We are all unique,and experiences are unique.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
madam-m said:
In my experience,u don't need to have return ticket.
I first submitted TRV,then,we apply for spouse sponsorship. and in couple of months I decided to go in Canada,and visit my husband.I didn't have return ticket,I wonted to stay6months. On a border visa officer ,sow my file,and he told me that I can stay 6months and then if I wont, I need to extend my stay.He guide me. That is in the end what I did it,in mean time I extend my stay.Nobody ask me for return ticket,for any other things,or documents.
Those things are changeable.Even if u go,maybe u ll need to come back emergent,or to change yr plan.Even you yourself in that very moment don't know what you ll do.

In that moment I didn't know about this forum,I did go totally relax.If I knew about this forum back then,and read all frighten stories,and bunch of documents that u have to have with you,i wd be deadly frighten,and visa officer ll notice that.

Although this forum helps me a lot,and I like to read the stories,and participate,sometimes it is not so wise to believe in everything what is written. We are all unique,and experiences are unique.
Many airlines won't even let you board the plane without a return ticket (because they don't want to be stuck with the cost of bringing you home on the off chance you're not allowed into Canada). You got lucky. One way tickets are only recommended in very specific circumstances (e.g. super visa, landing as a PR, work permit, study permit). One way tickets are generally a very bad idea for TRVs.

M

mikeymyke

scylla is right, I think you just got really lucky. You might even had an easier time because you're from a visa exempt country, and maybe the officer was confident enough in you that he didn't feel you needed a return ticket.

You know the old saying for TRVs: Buy a one way ticket to Canada, get a one way ticket back home.