+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to Canada for first time PR. Need suggestions

Kristianfromcanada

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
Hi!
We are looking for advice. My girlfriend is travelling from Ukraine to Canada in the next couple months and are wondering from other peoples experience how long it on average to get through customs in Toronto or Montreal. Or should she fly into Edmonton as the port of entry. She is travelling with 2 kids ages 7 and 3. Travelling directly to Edmonton is definitely easier, the travel time is much shorter however the cost will be around $800 more expensive.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!
We are looking for advice. My girlfriend is travelling from Ukraine to Canada in the next couple months and are wondering from other peoples experience how long it on average to get through customs in Toronto or Montreal. Or should she fly into Edmonton directly. She is travelling with 2 kids ages 7 and 3. Travelling directly to Edmonton is definitely easier, the travel time is much shorter however the cost will be around $800 more expensive.
Allow for at least 4 four hours between connecting flights to make sure she has enough time to go through landing formalities. It shouldn't take 4 hours - but it will depend on wati times at customs and immigration, etc.

Reactions: Kristianfromcanada

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They have direct flights from Ukraine to Edmonton ?
Not direct from Ukrain to Edmonton. I think the OP means a flight where the first port of entry into Canada is Edmonton. That's certainly feasible through a connection in Europe.

Kristianfromcanada

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
They have direct flights from Ukraine to Edmonton ?
No. There are flights that cost more and instead of 2 transfers it's only one.
So if we book a round trip flight starting in Edmonton, Amsterdam, kiev. Obviously she wouldn't be taking that flight but the return from Kiev which is 14.5 hours.Her English is improving and I'm kinda thinking it could be an easier all said and done and cleaning customs at YEG vs YYZ could be easier then I'll just be waiting there.
  • The other route is one way which would be kiev, turkey, Pearson then edmonton. The layover is 11hrs, their going to be tired. Total travel time is 34 hours.Sure wed book a room with a shuttle to and from airport but... I dislike travelling through Pearson, too busy!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@scylla
Would it be stressful getting through customs with kids if the lineup is long in Pearson. I doubt it would never be a long wait in Edmonton. I want to fly her into Edmonton and she just wants to save money... lol
Less resources there as well. Always depends on who is landing when you are so really depends on luck. Save the money unless you have lots of savings. The flight is going to be draining no matter what.

Kristianfromcanada

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
Less resources there as well. Always depends on who is landing when you are so really depends on luck. Save the money unless you have lots of savings. The flight is going to be draining no matter what.
She wouldnt be on the flight to Ukraine. the only reason we would book both ways is because the flight into Edmonton is not possible one way from Kyiv which is weird

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
She wouldnt be on the flight to Ukraine. the only reason we would book both ways is because the flight into Edmonton is not possible one way from Kyiv which is weird
Keep in mind that air company in case of no show to the first leg of the trip (Edmonton - Amsterdam) can cancel the other legs (Amsterdam - Kiev, Kiev - Amsterdam, Amsterdam - Edmonton)

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
thanks for the answer!
Is there anyway to get passed that?
Talk to the airline about their policy.

I did buy return tickets myself (strange, but return ticket can be cheaper than a one way ticket), but my agent always made sure that it was the last flight(s) I was not taking.
Someone I know had to buy a new ticket as her reservation was cancelled when she just skiped one flight in her itinerary. There are a lot of stories about it in the internet https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-7003117/amp/No-way-airlines-cancel-return-ticket-miss-flight-out.html.

https://www.smartertravel.com/skipping-a-flight-onward/

People take airlines to court and win, but dealing with cancelled reservation at Borispol airport is the last thing someone going to Canada with 2 kids wants to do.

Last edited: