+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Restrictions - Outland - just got approved and CoPR, when can I come?

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Hi everyone, my wife in China just got approved for PR and received CoPR, PRV & passport back yesterday (yay!). We were under the impression she can book a ticket immediately to Toronto, but it looks like she can't due to the latest travel restrictions? I thought an exemption would be applicable for family re-unification.

The info on the link they sent Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Who can travel to Canada – Citizens, persons registered under Canada’s Indian Act, permanent residents, foreign nationals and refugees - Canada.ca seem to say the same thing unless i'm reading it wrong.

Any ideas on when this travel ban might be lifted? Dumb question I know...

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Yes. She still has to do hotel quarantine and quarantine for the rest of the 14 days.
Of course. The 14 day will be no problem. The hotel quarantine looks like it will cost in the range of $2,000 from what I've read so far. Anyone recently gone through this and can confirm?

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Now i'm looking on the website Find out if you can enter Canada - Travel restrictions in Canada – Canada.ca and I indicated that I am:
  • a foreign national
  • not showing signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19
  • not coming from the United States
  • an approved permanent resident not yet in Canada
  • approved after March 18, 2020 at noon ET
it says: You will not be allowed to enter Canada, even if you have a valid confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR).

However, if I change my answers to:
  • a foreign national
  • reuniting with a Canadian citizen, a person registered under the Indian Act, or a permanent resident
  • the immediate family member of a Canadian citizen, a person registered under the Indian Act, or a permanent resident
it says: you will likely be allowed to enter Canada; however, the final determination will be made by a government official at the port of entry.

Which one is it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Of course. The 14 day will be no problem. The hotel quarantine looks like it will cost in the range of $2,000 from what I've read so far. Anyone recently gone through this and can confirm?
Less than 2k but it depends on the city and the choice of hotel. Many are closer to 1K.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Now i'm looking on the website Find out if you can enter Canada - Travel restrictions in Canada – Canada.ca and I indicated that I am:
  • a foreign national
it says: You will not be allowed to enter Canada, even if you have a valid confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR).

• a foreign national
  • reuniting with a Canadian citizen, a person registered under the Indian Act, or a permanent resident
  • the immediate family member of a Canadian citizen, a person registered under the Indian Act, or a permanent resident
it says: you will likely be allowed to enter Canada; however, the final determination will be made by a government official at the port of entry.

Which one is it?
Spouses of PRs and citizens can enter. Your spouse should travel with proof that they are married to PR/citizen to show the airline.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
  • a foreign national

• a foreign national

Which one is it?
You should present as the one that allows entry, ie as reuniting with immediate family member.

Don't worry about the 'you will likely be allowed to enter language.' This is applicable to all entries by foreign nationals and just standard language.

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
so when my wife travels to Canada, naturally she has to show evidence of her relation to me, a Canadian citizen (or PR etc.). So of she will bring our Chinese marriage booklet and docs. Will she need to have them translated or is it fine to just show that when she's at immigration?

anton1990

Champion Member
Dec 22, 2015
North Battleford
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-04-2016
Nomination.....
21-04-2016
AOR Received.
11-07-2016
Med's Request
02-05-2017
Med's Done....
09-05-2017
Passport Req..
08-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2017
LANDED..........
14-01-2018
so when my wife travels to Canada, naturally she has to show evidence of her relation to me, a Canadian citizen (or PR etc.). So of she will bring our Chinese marriage booklet and docs. Will she need to have them translated or is it fine to just show that when she's at immigration?
Translated in English or French

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She will only need to show it to the the airline so I don't think you need to have it translated especially if leaving from a Chinese speaking country.

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
She will only need to show it to the the airline so I don't think you need to have it translated especially if leaving from a Chinese speaking country.
You are right, however, if she has a transit, it will be better to have it translated. From my own experience, we had a flight Paris-Lisbon (transit)-Canada, they checked our documents in Lisbon, by some "special" agents (1) who are working with the Canadian government.

(1) Only them had the authority to allow people.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are right, however, if she has a transit, it will be better to have it translated. From my own experience, we had a flight Paris-Lisbon (transit)-Canada, they checked our documents in Lisbon, by some "special" agents (1) who are working with the Canadian government.

(1) Only them had the authority to allow people.
It is optional.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
No need to have your marriage booklets translated and they are not required for travel to Canada. Bring them with you and show your friends if you like.
Immigration will not ask to see them upon entry. You have passport and COPR