+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel restrictions for COPR holders (issued after March 18th, 2020) - Transiting via USA

ytagger

Dec 1, 2018
Hi all,

We hold a COPR (issued after March 18th, 2020). And wish to travel to Canada in the coming days.

According to this website: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/driving-canada-checklist

When I choose:
  1. I’m a foreign national (including a United States citizen)
  2. No, I don’t have COVID-19 symptoms
  3. Entering Canada from the United States (including connections, so long as you enter Canada from the U.S.).
  4. I’m an approved permanent resident (who has not yet arrived in Canada)
I get the following message:

“Based on your answers, you will likely be allowed to enter Canada; however, the final determination will be made by a government official at the port of entry.”

I’m just wondering if any of you in a similar situation was able to enter Canada or was rejected. Would appreciate any info.

Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
“Based on your answers, you will likely be allowed to enter Canada; however, the final determination will be made by a government official at the port of entry.”
This is absolutely standard language that applies to all travellers to Canada who arrive at a port of entry (except citizens and permanent residents*, who must be admitted); it does not mean much, as CBSA officers always have the ability to refuse entry. In reality refusal does not happen much for those with proper visas etc and who arrive in accordance with the terms of their documents (this caveat mostly means if someone shows up with clearly different purpose than their visa, they could be refused).

So don't worry about that, if you are otherwise arriving as govt of Canada sites and instructions advise and have covid-related matters in order, you will almost certainly be admitted.

Note - you don't say how you're arriving, being able to get on a flight is a different matter, check with airline in advance.

*No, you're not a PR yet - not until you 'land' the first time.

ytagger

Dec 1, 2018
Makes sense, thanks.
And yes, we will have the COVID tests done, we have ESTA for the US and eTA for Canada.
Also, have a quarantine plan including 3 days at an approved hotel.

I'm aware I don't have the PR until I land (that's point number 4)

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Makes sense, thanks.
And yes, we will have the COVID tests done, we have ESTA for the US and eTA for Canada.
Also, have a quarantine plan including 3 days at an approved hotel.

I'm aware I don't have the PR until I land (that's point number 4)
Warning, I haven't used this entry method, you'll still want to see what experiences of others . But that warning language of likely be admitted is the standard.