+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel restriction exemption

navpaul200

Jun 11, 2019
I have applied for exempt from Canada’s Travel Restrictions for the Purpose of Family Reunification. I got my SOWP approved and 12th march 2020 and due to Covid19 situation in India & Canada I couldn't able to travel to Canada. Below is the reply mail I received from IRCC

"Your request to be exempt from the restrictions to travel to Canada listed in the Interim Order to Prevent Certain Persons from Boarding Flights to Canada due to COVID 19, no.3, under section 3(1)(b) of the Order in Council, Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Prohibition of Entry into Canada from any country other than the United States) has been refused.

Based on our assessment of the information you provided and the information in our system, we have not found that you meet the immediate family member exemption. In particular,

• the purpose of your travel is of an optional or discretionary nature.

Please note that, as you are not exempt from the restrictions to travel to Canada, you should not plan or undertake any travel to Canada, as you will be prevented from boarding your flight and/or entering Canada"

I have applied with
1.Marriage certificate
2.My visa & visa approval letter
3.Spouse visa & study permit
4.detailed reason for travel

and other relevant details like UCI,Passport number.

Anybody know, what is wrong with my request ? or the specific reason for the above refusal.

Last edited:

Rick2212

May 4, 2020
Canada
Category........
CEC
I have applied for exempt from Canada’s Travel Restrictions for the Purpose of Family Reunification. I got my SOWP approved and 12th march 2020 and due to Covid19 situation in India & Canada I couldn't able to travel to Canada. Below is the reply mail I received from IRCC

"Your request to be exempt from the restrictions to travel to Canada listed in the Interim Order to Prevent Certain Persons from Boarding Flights to Canada due to COVID 19, no.3, under section 3(1)(b) of the Order in Council, Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Prohibition of Entry into Canada from any country other than the United States) has been refused.

Based on our assessment of the information you provided and the information in our system, we have not found that you meet the immediate family member exemption. In particular,

Please note that, as you are not exempt from the restrictions to travel to Canada, you should not plan or undertake any travel to Canada, as you will be prevented from boarding your flight and/or entering Canada"

I have applied with
1.Marriage certificate

Anybody know, what is wrong with my request ? or the specific reason for the above refusal.
Purpose of Family Reunification only apply to Canadian citizen and PR holders.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

I have applied with
1.Marriage certificate

You need to have a job offer in Canada. Wanting to come here to be with your spouse is not being classified as essential because your spouse is only here temporarily and is not a PR or Canadian citizen. If you can secure a job offer, then you can try to request the exemption again.

sandip123400

Jul 29, 2020
hello,
I live in Canada on Open work permit. My wife got work ( OPEN WORK PERMIT) visa on March 20, 2020. She is planning to travel to Canada to live with me. She is eligible to travel right now in this restriction ??
We apply for an authorization letter but we did not get any update from IRCC?
we need that letter for travel or she can travel without that?

meliksah

Jul 22, 2020
All airlines travelers not directly exempted need to get letter from ircc with an email. And open work permits doesnt counted as non discretionary if s/he does not have work offer that shows that business is not closed due to covid-19 and employee will start work after self isloation.

Our families have travel exemption only if travel cause is non-discretionary. But we need to explain this cause in detail in email. If we can not convince the officer that our family’s travel is non discretionary they will refuse our request.

according to this article which is lastly updated in 23 July 2020:https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html#travel-restrictions

However, their travel must still be non-optional and non-discretionary. Generally those accompanying family members seeking to establish themselves in Canada will be considered to be travelling for a non-discretionary purpose.

As far as I understand from here our family should give reason like relocating to canada and live with us. Could you write your email to ircc so we can understand why they claimed your family’s travel cause is discretionary?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hello,
I live in Canada on Open work permit. My wife got work ( OPEN WORK PERMIT) visa on March 20, 2020. She is planning to travel to Canada to live with me. She is eligible to travel right now in this restriction ??
She needs the letter.

rk1234

Jun 25, 2020
hello,
Hi,

was your wife able to get the letter to travel to Canada to visit you ?
I'm in the same situation therefore wanted to know if it worked out?

Thank you in advance

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
Purpose of Family Reunification only apply to Canadian citizen and PR holders.
I have a Canadian PR and been living in Toronto. My fiancee lives in India and has a visitor visa application submitted in July. We are planning to get married in November. In case her visa does not get approved by November, we are planning to contact IRCC with proof of marriage that she is an immediate family member and hence is exempt from travel restrictions. Hopefully that expedites her pending visa application.
Do we need a letter too?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

I have a Canadian PR and been living in Toronto. My fiancee lives in India and has a visitor visa application submitted in July. We are planning to get married in November. In case her visa does not get approved by November, we are planning to contact IRCC with proof of marriage that she is an immediate family member and hence is exempt from travel restrictions. Hopefully that expedites her pending visa application.
Do we need a letter too?
1. It won't.