+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel outside of Canada as a PR while my Spouse application is in process

canadaoutlander

Star Member
Feb 6, 2021
Hi, everyone.
I am PR with Indian Citizenship. I have submitted Spouse Outland application on Feb 3rd 2021 for my wife. We married last October. Now I’m planning to visit her in mid May 2021 and planning to stay with her in india until June end. Is this going to impact the sponsorship application? I don’t see any official restriction that says being a sponsor I need to be in the Canada all the time during the application process. Please advise if anyone travel outside of Canada during the application process and had any issues.

Thanks, appreciate your responses

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
As a PR, yes you do need to stay in Canada throughout the process to qualify as a sponsor. If you were a citizen, it wouldn't matter. You are taking a risk by leaving. If at any point you will not be able to enter the country (due to unavailable flights or travel restrictions, for example), and you were outside of the country for too long your application could be considered abandoned.

canadaoutlander

Star Member
Feb 6, 2021
Thank you. I will be out for a month. I just received my AOR and now they will start working on my SA I guess. i understand they will know I am out of country but how do they comprehend whether I left the country completely vs vacation.

canadaoutlander

Star Member
Feb 6, 2021
I read in IRCC website that I am allowed to travel for trips. I have a full time job and I provided recent letter with my application as well.

canadaoutlander

Star Member
Feb 6, 2021
Thanks. Appreciate it. I am happy that I received my AOR in less than a month. Hoping that I will get SA approval in next few months so I can apply visitor visa for my wife

dw33

Champion Member
Dec 28, 2020
Goodluck with the visitor visa. I waited roughly 5.5 months for aor. My SA approval was roughly six weeks.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi, everyone.
I am PR with Indian Citizenship. I have submitted Spouse Outland application on Feb 3rd 2021 for my wife. We married last October. Now I’m planning to visit her in mid May 2021 and planning to stay with her in india until June end. Is this going to impact the sponsorship application? I don’t see any official restriction that says being a sponsor I need to be in the Canada all the time during the application process. Please advise if anyone travel outside of Canada during the application process and had any issues.

Thanks, appreciate your responses
You didn’t look hard enough

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

canadaoutlander

Star Member
Feb 6, 2021
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-assessing-sponsor.html

Sponsors who maintain a principal residence in Canada are not considered to be in violation of residency requirements if they:

• take short holidays or business trips outside Canada on a temporary basis
  • have work arrangements that require them to be outside Canada for temporary finite periods of time, but return to live in Canada in between assignments (such as ship crew or seasonal workers)
Persons who do not maintain a principal residence in Canada and who live and work abroad and only return to Canada for short visits are not considered to meet residency requirements.