+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel outside Canada when Work Permit Extension in process

newuser01012022

Jan 12, 2022
Hello All,
I have the following 2 questions -

1. My current work visa expires in January 2024. My employer has filed Work permit extension in July 2023. I am planning to fly to India next month, September 2023 for about 3 weeks. I believe I can re-enter Canada without any issues with some 3+ months validity still left on current visa. Please advise if my understanding is correct.
  2. With current visa extension processing taking well over 140 days, I do not expect a decision on my application until late November 2023. The processes after a decision is received also take some time (eg. sending passport for visa stamping etc.). I am hopeful for an approval. However, in case there is early decision while I am in India (approval/rejection), will it be a problem at the port of entry to re-enter on current work permit that is valid until Jan'24? Please advise.

The law firm that has filed my application has stated that the Maintained status kicks in from the day my current work permit expires in Jan'24 till the time a Decision is received. However I thought I should still check with folks here. Appreciate your help.

Regards,

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hello All,

1. My current work visa expires in January 2024. My employer has filed Work permit extension in July 2023. I am planning to fly to India next month, September 2023 for about 3 weeks. I believe I can re-enter Canada without any issues with some 3+ months validity still left on current visa. Please advise if my understanding is correct.
  2. With current visa extension processing taking well over 140 days, I do not expect a decision on my application until late November 2023. The processes after a decision is received also take some time (eg. sending passport for visa stamping etc.). I am hopeful for an approval. However, in case there is early decision while I am in India (approval/rejection), will it be a problem at the port of entry to re-enter on current work permit that is valid until Jan'24? Please advise.

The law firm that has filed my application has stated that the Maintained status kicks in from the day my current work permit expires in Jan'24 till the time a Decision is received. However I thought I should still check with folks here. Appreciate your help.

Regards,
1. Yes
2. No

huiqin

Star Member
Apr 26, 2021
Hello All,

Regards,
Hi, I am in a similar situation. I have my work permit valid until Feb 2024 and have already submitted an extension. I would like to travel in 2 weeks. Could you please advise if there is any problem to re-enter Canada?

newuser01012022

Jan 12, 2022
Hi, I am in a similar situation. I have my work permit valid until Feb 2024 and have already submitted an extension. I would like to travel in 2 weeks. Could you please advise if there is any problem to re-enter Canada?
Hi, you should be good to go because your WP is valid until Feb'24. Just make sure to carry it with you. They may ask for it when you return to Canada.

RajSinha007

Aug 20, 2023
Hi I am in similar situation , could you pls advise ?

RajSinha007

Aug 20, 2023
Hello All,

Regards,
Hi I am in similar situation , could you pls advise ?