+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel outside canada as PR but

Casablanca93

Star Member
Dec 23, 2018
Hi there, I have a question: I currently hold a permanent resident status. However, when I entered Canada I entered as a refuge claimabnt. That being said Am I allowed to travel outside of Canada with my home country passport and my permanent resident card?. I've know so many people who say yes but I am not 100% sure is there any document where I can read more about it ? Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Look in the refugees and asylum part of the forum and possibly citizenship part too

You definitely should NOT travel to your home country while a PR.

My understanding is that there can be an issue later if you travel using home country passport.

Using that passport can be considered "availing yourself of that country's protection." The country you fled from. Which cam cause problems later with Canadian government.

I'm not an expert. Look into this carefully before doing it (or get your Canadian citizenship first).

One warning - you will hear some people say it's fine, they did it and nothing happened. But it's like speeding - other people speeding and not getting caught is not a guarantee you won't be.

Reactions: Casablanca93

Casablanca93

Star Member
Dec 23, 2018
Look in the refugees and asylum part of the forum and possibly citizenship part too

You definitely should NOT travel to your home country while a PR.

My understanding is that there can be an issue later if you travel using home country passport.

Using that passport can be considered "availing yourself of that country's protection." The country you fled from. Which cam cause problems later with Canadian government.

I'm not an expert. Look into this carefully before doing it (or get your Canadian citizenship first).

One warning - you will hear some people say it's fine, they did it and nothing happened. But it's like speeding - other people speeding and not getting caught is not a guarantee you won't be.
I am totally aware and I think about it and it makes sense have your RTD since you're still considering a refugee.... oh well I guess it just like you said , just cause they haven't get caught doesn't mean it's ok

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am totally aware and I think about it and it makes sense have your RTD since you're still considering a refugee.... oh well I guess it just like you said , just cause they haven't get caught doesn't mean it's ok
If you know about it, what exactly is your question?