+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRAVEL HISTORY question

ramammad

Star Member
Jul 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

You guys have been a great help. I have one more question.

In Travel history section of the application it says:
"any trips taken outside his/her country of origin or of residence"

I am a student living in the US for the last 8 years, but originally from a different country. Do I mention every trip I have taken to US and from US back to my home country or is US in this case considered "country of residence"?

Thank you!

AM_008

Oct 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-12-2015
Passport Req..
12-04-2016
ramammad said:
Hello all,

I am a student living in the US for the last 8 years, but originally from a different country. Do I mention every trip I have taken to US and from US back to my home country or is US in this case considered "country of residence"?

Thank you!
As I see it ... you do not need to provide any information about your trips in/out of these two countries:
1. USA (your current country of residence);
2. Your home country (country of origin);

Quotation from MyCIC: "Provide details of any trips ramammad has taken outside his/her country of origin or of residence in the last ten years (or since his/her 18th birthday if this was less than ten years ago)".

PS. I believe that CIC understand that applicants who live outside of their country of origin visit it very often (such applicants have a lot of trips between country of residence and country of origin). Therefore, CIC asks to provide information only about other countries where you have been in the last 10 years.

Reactions: asukumari

wildemam

Nov 10, 2015
GTA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramammad said:
Hello all,

Thank you!
Had the same situation where I did not state one trip between Egypt and Canada. I got worried and sent them an update. They responded with "saved under applicant info".

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
AM_008 said:
PS. I believe that CIC understand that applicants who live outside of their country of origin visit it very often (such applicants have a lot of trips between country of residence and country of origin). Therefore, CIC asks to provide information only about other countries where you have been in the last 10 years.
Although nobody would doubt CIC's understanding that they are aware of the applicant's frequent travel between his/her 'country of origin' or 'country of residence', nevertheless that expect all applicants to mention each and every such sojourns made.

Understanding the objective behind asking such information detail, why would they ignore (or like the applicant to delist) these frequent travel histories from their travel histories.

What they mean my the below statement of
AM_008 said:
is what ever be your case whether your 'country of home' or 'country of residence' are same or different, please take the pains to provide us with the full details.

This is the way i would interpret it.

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do not need to tell them about any travels between your country of origin and your country of residence.

Your country of residence is the US (where you ordinarily live) and your country of origin is the country of which you are a citizen.

Travel between these countries does not need to be listed.

If they wanted this to be listed, they logically should have said "trips taken outside his/her country of residence", i.e. without "country of origin" (because country of origin only matters when it is different from the country of residence, i.e. when you don't live in your country of origin).

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I am not an expert, but I interpret this to mean any INTERNATIONAL trips. They don't want to know of your travels WITHIN the country of origin or residence. So if you are an Indian living in Mumbai and take a holiday in Goa it doesn't need to be documented. Likewise, if you are working in Winnipeg and go to see the Rockies in Alberta, you don't need to report that. However, if you take a trip to Italy, it must be identified.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
Pippin said:
I am not an expert, but I interpret this to mean any INTERNATIONAL trips. They don't want to know of your travels WITHIN the country of origin or residence. So if you are an Indian living in Mumbai and take a holiday in Goa it doesn't need to be documented. Likewise, if you are working in Winnipeg and go to see the Rockies in Alberta, you don't need to report that. However, if you take a trip to Italy, it must be identified.
Thats exactly what i meant...but yeah it goes without saying and everyone here knows CIC is uninterested in your local (within country) trips.

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pippin said:
I don't think that is the intention of that sentence. They could have have just said "outside of country of residence", that would have achieved the same thing. They have specifically included "country of origin" because they don't care if you travel there.

I know from other visa applications that the intention of the travel history is to determine if you have ties to countries that are deemed suspicious. They already know that you are associated with your country of origin, so telling them that you traveled there is completely redundant.

Look, I think it doesn't hurt your application if you include those trips, especially if it's only a few. But if you have 20+ trips, it would be madness to list them in my opinion.

leonht

Star Member
Mar 31, 2015
Has anyone who did not list travels between country of origin and country of residence got their application approved?
There's no harm in listing those trips though, but then it's kinda not good to not follow the instructions.

Scottygirl

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
Doc's Request.
23-12-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront (passed Dec 15 2015)
Passport Req..
05-05-2016 (sent 06-05-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2016
LANDED..........
15-07-2016
Dexmoody said:
I don't think that is the intention of that sentence. They could have have just said "outside of country of residence", that would have achieved the same thing. They have specifically included "country of origin" because they don't care if you travel there.

I know from other visa applications that the intention of the travel history is to determine if you have ties to countries that are deemed suspicious. They already know that you are associated with your country of origin, so telling them that you traveled there is completely redundant.

Look, I think it doesn't hurt your application if you include those trips, especially if it's only a few. But if you have 20+ trips, it would be madness to list them in my opinion.
We included ALL our trips, even those to our country or origin (UK) from our country of residence (Canada). Even without these, my husband still would have had around 30 entries as he spent 2 weeks in Toronto then 2 weeks home, every month for 16 months!

mrmosore

Jan 26, 2016
hello guys, i need an answer to this as well. I traveled for the first time to canada for study purposes. prior to then, i was denied of a visa at the finnish embassy on the same ground (study). while applying for permanent residence, i really dont remember including this because the it was on my old passport which i got my study visa on from my home country. so while applying i only included my new passport data page which is pretty much virgin. do i have to include this information or can i just leave it out. if i have to, considering that i have applied already, how do i go about it.
thanks guys.

nshakelly

Nov 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Add on this topic -

I have noticed that travel between Canada and USA ---> I notice all the stamps while entering USA but re-entering to Canada (my current country of Residence), the officers have not stamped.

1) Can I enter the date as per my memory? --> Or will this create a prob?

2) Also I have come across a friend who has not filled the travel between Canada ( Current County of Residence ) and India (Country of Origin) and got her PR approved? --> Is this recommend or should I get the travel between Canada ( Current County of Residence ) and India (Country of Origin)

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nshakelly said:
Add on this topic -

I have noticed that travel between Canada and USA ---> I notice all the stamps while entering USA but re-entering to Canada (my current country of Residence), the officers have not stamped.

1) Can I enter the date as per my memory? --> Or will this create a prob? Not a problem.

2) Also I have come across a friend who has not filled the travel between Canada ( Current County of Residence ) and India (Country of Origin) and got her PR approved? --> Is this recommend or should I get the travel between Canada ( Current County of Residence ) and India (Country of Origin)

Perfectly fine to do this.

nshakelly

Nov 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For the second reply, I am assuming you meant NOT a problem if I do not mention travel between Canada and my country of Origin, right?