+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel History post ITA

Grinton

Aug 7, 2019
Canada
Hello,

I've just received the ITA and I'm working on my travel history.

I had a peculiar situation:
I graduated from my Master's in Canada, but since it was a double degree program, I spent more than half of the program length (> 6 months) in the EU at the partner university, despite paying all my tuition fees to the Canadian University and having the status of "exchange student" in Europe.

Technically, I was still a resident in Canada (according to study permit and tax purposes.. ), but I was physically in Europe.
I know that I don't need to update my address each time I had a trip in my travel history, as long as I maintain residency ties with Canada - but what should I do for this specific case?

In the address history, should I keep my Canadian address during the time in Europe? Or should I insert the European address I stayed at? (or should it be an overlapping address? :) )

My main concern is that, despite having a Canadian degree, my address history could be misleading.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Hello,

I've just received the ITA and I'm working on my travel history.

I had a peculiar situation:
I graduated from my Master's in Canada, but since it was a double degree program, I spent more than half of the program length (> 6 months) in the EU at the partner university, despite paying all my tuition fees to the Canadian University and having the status of "exchange student" in Europe.

Technically, I was still a resident in Canada (according to study permit and tax purposes.. ), but I was physically in Europe.
I know that I don't need to update my address each time I had a trip in my travel history, as long as I maintain residency ties with Canada - but what should I do for this specific case?

In the address history, should I keep my Canadian address during the time in Europe? Or should I insert the European address I stayed at? (or should it be an overlapping address? :) )

My main concern is that, despite having a Canadian degree, my address history could be misleading.
I think you can explain it. You'll have to give a pcc though no?

Grinton

Aug 7, 2019
Canada
I think you can explain it. You'll have to give a pcc though no?
Yes, I'll need to provide a police certificate but that's not my concern.
I'm just afraid my Canadian education (Master's) will be questioned because of the time spent abroad - even though it was part of the Master program (as in my transcript).

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Yes, I'll need to provide a police certificate but that's not my concern.
I'm just afraid my Canadian education (Master's) will be questioned because of the time spent abroad - even though it was part of the Master program (as in my transcript).
You can explain it. You did get your masters after all. Agents arent dumb. They know about exchange students, distance learning etc...

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Disregard what I said, just saw you spent MORE than half the program abroad. I understood 6 months out of the two years.

Grinton

Aug 7, 2019
Canada
Disregard what I said, just saw you spent MORE than half the program abroad. I understood 6 months out of the two years.
Yes, and it was part of the requirements for the program, despite being a Canadian master's degree.
Is this going to be a problem in my application?

Should I explain it somewhere in the application? Or the transcript will be enough?
Or worse, this is going to be a major issue in the application?

Last edited:

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Yes, and it was part of the requirements for the program, despite being a Canadian master's degree.
Is this going to be a problem in my application?

Should I explain it somewhere in the application? Or the transcript will be enough?
Or worse, this is going to be a major issue in the application?
i don't think it'll count as a canadian diploma in the first place. i'm not 100% sure

Grinton

Aug 7, 2019
Canada
i don't think it'll count as a canadian diploma in the first place. i'm not 100% sure
I guess I'll need some time to figure it out then... maybe I need to decline this ITA ?

That's really unfair though... my degree is Canadian and I paid all my tuition in Canada.
I even had to pay taxes in Canada for my international income during the period I was on a study permit.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
I guess I'll need some time to figure it out then... maybe I need to decline this ITA ?

That's really unfair though... my degree is Canadian and I paid all my tuition in Canada.
I even had to pay taxes in Canada for my international income during the period I was on a study permit.
like i said earlier i'm not sure about this case. the thing is what if i do a distance learning diploma, so stay home and get a canadian diploma but i still paid my tuition in canada