+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel from Canada to USA for work under H1b while PR is under process

Jul 16, 2023
HI All,
I am working in Canada from the past 1.8 years. It's a closed work permit sponsored by my employer and my work permit is valid till Sept 2024. I have applied and submitted all the required documents for PR on May 20th 2023 under CEC class Category after receiving an ITA.

I hold a H1B visa with the same employer which is valid thru Sep 2025. Now my employer ( and the Client ) wants me to travel USA for a short period of 6 to 8 months. I will still remain with the same employer but its just my reporting and the pay stubs will be in USA but not Canada.

As the PR is already in progress and its being an Inland application under CEC class and I have selected that I have a job offer from my employer, It gave me additional 50 points, hence I qualified for ITA.

My question : Will there be a problem if I travel to USA on H1B visa while my PR is under process with the given conditions.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sudarsan

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
HI All,
I am working in Canada from the past 1.8 years. It's a closed work permit sponsored by my employer and my work permit is valid till Sept 2024. I have applied and submitted all the required documents for PR on May 20th 2023 under CEC class Category after receiving an ITA.

I hold a H1B visa with the same employer which is valid thru Sep 2025. Now my employer ( and the Client ) wants me to travel USA for a short period of 6 to 8 months. I will still remain with the same employer but its just my reporting and the pay stubs will be in USA but not Canada.

As the PR is already in progress and its being an Inland application under CEC class and I have selected that I have a job offer from my employer, It gave me additional 50 points, hence I qualified for ITA.

My question : Will there be a problem if I travel to USA on H1B visa while my PR is under process with the given conditions.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sudarsan
The closed work permit usually have conditions. As far as I know closed work permit has place of business attached to it, though I maybe wrong. I don't think this is a good idea.

I am sure I had read in this forum about a person relocating to a different province on PNP. IRCC asked for his credit card receipts, which can easily prove he had relocated. Don't know what happened further up but the poster sounds distressing. So your call.

Reactions: Chasechs

aneelkanth

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto
You have already applied based on past work experience and this is the same employer you have the closed work permit with. There is no restriction to work in US right now. If IRCC questions anything which is highly unlikely; the fact that it’s the same employer will suffice as an explanation.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
It would not be an issue if you were talking about working 30 days in the US. But 6 to 8 months is a crazy timeframe for a closed work permit holder. For your own safety I suggest consulting a professional for a more accurate assessment of the situation.

Reactions: Taran D