+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel frequently before citizenship application

Arou

Dec 18, 2015
Hi, I am planning to apply for citizenship in a couple months. As I have traveled abroad quite frequently in the last a few years, I am wondering if that might be an issue in the citizenship application?

Most of the trips were to the US while also other countries. For example, in the last year, I have been to the US 3 times plus one time to Mexico, and I have another US trip coming next month. About 80% were personal vacations and 20% business. Each time was about 4-7 days ish.

Does anybody here have similar experience and can share how your application went? Thanks a lot!

Arou

shakeyy

Dec 29, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Arou said:
Hi, I am planning to apply for citizenship in a couple months. As I have traveled abroad quite frequently in the last a few years, I am wondering if that might be an issue in the citizenship application?

Most of the trips were to the US while also other countries. For example, in the last year, I have been to the US 3 times plus one time to Mexico, and I have another US trip coming next month. About 80% were personal vacations and 20% business. Each time was about 4-7 days ish.

Does anybody here have similar experience and can share how your application went? Thanks a lot!

Arou

i frequently travel for vacation as well. the officer didnt ask much about it. just make sure you record and declare each trip in residency calculator and you're good. He will cross check your declaration with report from CBSA during interview

tmota

Star Member
Nov 24, 2016
Montreal - Quebec
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as you fill the calculator with everything and meet all criteria for application, your travels shouldn't be a problem. In fact, what you are describing - week-long trips to our southern neighbours - is far from uncommon. My wife traveled quite a few times to the US for work and we didn't had any problems. An acquaintance traveled every other weekend to the US for shopping, no problems for him also.

Most of us live fairly close to the border, these kind of trips are commonplace. Besides, as long as you are actually living in Canada, the amount of travel or the destination shouldn't be an issue if you meet the physical presence criteria.

younes123

Nov 23, 2015
tmota said:
As long as you fill the calculator with everything and meet all criteria for application, your travels shouldn't be a problem. In fact, what you are describing - week-long trips to our southern neighbours - is far from uncommon. My wife traveled quite a few times to the US for work and we didn't had any problems. An acquaintance traveled every other weekend to the US for shopping, no problems for him also.

Most of us live fairly close to the border, these kind of trips are commonplace. Besides, as long as you are actually living in Canada, the amount of travel or the destination shouldn't be an issue if you meet the physical presence criteria.
Yes, I do agree with you 100%.

Raj_Hoque

Feb 13, 2012
Bangladesh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2012
LANDED..........
December 30, 2012
Arou said:
Thanks a lot everybody for your replies. That's comforting news :). Thanks!

Arou
Hi All,

I have a question: I am eligible to apply for citizenship but I also have planned my vacation for 3 weeks. Now I want to mail my application and going out of canada for 3 weeks. Will that be an issue later?

alexchristi

Sep 8, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th july 2011
AOR Received.
PER 8th sept.2011
IELTS Request
on file
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05. Oct. 2012
VISA ISSUED...
24. 10. 2012
LANDED..........
08.dec.2012
Raj_Hoque said:
Hi All,

I have a question: I am eligible to apply for citizenship but I also have planned my vacation for 3 weeks. Now I want to mail my application and going out of canada for 3 weeks. Will that be an issue later?
No problem at all.

Raj_Hoque

Feb 13, 2012
Bangladesh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2012
LANDED..........
December 30, 2012
alexchristi said:
No problem at all.
Thanks. But I'm confused with "Intent to Reside" clause...some people say would create an issue some says nothing at all...