+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel exemption

osab

Jul 20, 2020
Hello,

I received ppr email yesterday and submitted my passport today. My question is, as my brother is a Canadian citzen so Am I exempt from the travel restrictions? Also, I am the secondary applicant and my wife is the main applicant. Thanks. Will this come under family reunificatiom?

osab

Jul 20, 2020
I believe i will get a valid visa with copr? Right.
So you mean my wife(primary applicant) is considerd as an extended family member?

osab

Jul 20, 2020
So we cannot travel? Since she is the main application and I am secondary and my brother is in Canada

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You have COPR, correct? IIRC has said that travel is not essential to validate COPR and become PR. Your wife is not extended family so she can’t travel. You have to travel with your wife as she must land first to activate PR. If you really want to see your brother you could apply for authorization to travel but it has to be essential. You would need to use your visitor visa.

osab

Jul 20, 2020
Thanks for replying. So I have to apply for a visitor visa seperately even though I will get a visa stamped but that will be immigrant status visa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for replying. So I have to apply for a visitor visa seperately even though I will get a visa stamped but that will be immigrant status visa.
Yes

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, you need a visitor visa and written authorization from IIRC to travel. Don’t know where you are from but processing could take months.

osab

Jul 20, 2020
I am from Pakistan. Ok got it. Thank you very much for responding to all my questions.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Visitor Visa processing for Pakistan is around 11 months & your visa would not be considered a priority. All the best.

osab

Jul 20, 2020
No i am not going to apply for a visitor visa... i will wait for travel restriction to be lifted. Its ok :)

Vickyvikram123

Star Member
Jul 31, 2019
Your wife is not covered under the exemption & is not considered extended family.
This is the case with me also, my wife's mother is not well and currently PR in Canada, she wants to see her by paying her a visit, but she can't travel alone, we have our kid ( 3 years) , is there anything we could do for visiting Canada together

osab

Jul 20, 2020
This is the case with me also, my wife's mother is not well and currently PR in Canada, she wants to see her by paying her a visit, but she can't travel alone, we have our kid ( 3 years) , is there anything we could do for visiting Canada together
But we have been told that we can by Kubeir kamal. And one consultant in Canada said the same thing that we can. Once i will have my passport I will atleast apply for authorization, lets see what ircc will say.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
But we have been told that we can by Kubeir kamal. And one consultant in Canada said the same thing that we can. Once i will have my passport I will atleast apply for authorization, lets see what ircc will say.
The website clearly states who extended family
IIRC clearly states who extended family is and it doesn’t include son-in-laws etc.

If your relationship is with a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or permanent resident, you must be

• in an exclusive dating relationship, have been in the relationship for at least 1 year and have spent time in the physical presence of that person at some point during the relationship
  • a non-dependent child (adult child)
  • a grandchild (dependent child of a non-dependent adult child)
  • a sibling, half-sibling or step-sibling
  • a grandparent

Also if you follow IIRC on Twitter, this questions is asked several times and the answer has been no.