+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel document

parakeet

Oct 7, 2014
Hey all!

I'm a newbie here. I just have a quick question to ask:

I'm a former refugee claimant and a holder of PR. However, I'm not sure if I can travel using my country of origin's passport? My friends and I are planning a trip to Europe, but I do not wish to travel using my national passport (from the country I claimed my refugee case). Should I apply for a travel document?

Any suggestions or tips will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why dont you want to travel using your national passport? Yes you can apply for a travel document. It will not waive the visa requirements of the European countries, unless you are traveling to Germany. You can travel there without a schengn visa but you may have restrictions traveling to different countries within the schengn area.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a refugee, you should not be travelling on the passport of the country you fled. Apply for a travel document instead.

parakeet

Oct 7, 2014
Leon said:
As a refugee, you should not be travelling on the passport of the country you fled. Apply for a travel document instead.
Yes I thought that too, just needed to confirm Thank you Leon and CanV!!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parakeet said:
..... However, I'm not sure if I can travel using my country of origin's passport? .....
No one can stop you using your national passport if you wish to but as far as Canada and many other countries are concerned this is at odds with your refugee claim given that issuance and use of a national passport is not only symbolic but surely attests that you are afforded the protection of the very country you claim is persecuting you. Get a TD or wait till you are a Canadian Citizen and can use a Canadian passport.

Aakash Evans

Sep 22, 2014
I did my soft landing in November and came back in December for my marriage. I am applying for PRTD now as i have not received the PR card. Can i mention marriage as a reason for PRTD? Does it have any implication?