+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

travel document query

akbah

Sep 27, 2012
Hi
We took Landing in Aug 2010,satyed in Canada for one week and came back to middle East and thereafter not yet gone to Canada.Now Intend to move fully to Canada.Unfortunately our First PR card for myself,my wife and younger daughter not made due to PHOTO problem.As we intend to move now to Canada sometime in May 2013 for good I understand We need TRAVEL DOCUMENT.My query is will there be any problem in getting Travel Document?Secondly How long Travel document is valid once issued.thirdly ,I want to get US Torist Visa also meanwhile in passport so that can go visit US also easily,will that cause any hinderance in getting Travel document?(wants to get US toursit Visa first than apply for Travel document).
Best Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You realize that you must return to Canada no later than August 2013 in order to meet the 2/5 years residency obligation. You should apply for the travel document right now in order to make sure you will get it in time. They are usually valid for 6 months. It is also an option for you if you get a US visa to bypass the travel document and enter Canada from the US at the land border.

akbah

Sep 27, 2012
Hi
Thannkyou Leon for prompt reply.My further query is should I take US visa this month than apply for Travel Document next month in March? and applying for US tourist Visa beforehand ,Can it hinder in getting Travel Document?
I enquired about validity of travel Document by E mail at Abu Dhabi office they said Travel Document once issued is valid for 1 month only??
We Intend to travel to Canda sometime in May.

Really Appreciate your inputs.
Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ask Abu Dhabi how long they take to process it? Usually they are valid for 6 months but if it is only valid for one, you still have to apply beforehand if the processing time is long. You can apply for a US visa, I do not see how it would affect your application for a travel document.

akbah

Sep 27, 2012
Hi
Many Thanx Leon,I will ask for processing time also but do you think there will not be any problem in getting Travel document as long as we are less than 3 yrs out of Canada.

Also while filling the application for Travel doc Q14 in Employment activity--should I fill ending date of employent?(although I will not resign now,I intend to go now and come back and to be sponsored later by my wife).
and in Q16,17--Looks like to tickNO.
and Q18--not applicable.
What is your advice,Please guide
Regards

akbah

Sep 27, 2012
Hi
One more question regarding Travel document,as we are out of Canada more than 2 yrs but less than 3 yrs will the Canada visa authority ask for Medical Exam again before granting Travel Document? or further security checks??
Please guide.
Because this might delay processing time as we intend to travel in may and they(abudhabi office) say TD valid only for 1 month so still not applied to get TD.
Best Regards

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
akbah said:
Hi
One more question regarding Travel document,as we are out of Canada more than 2 yrs but less than 3 yrs will the Canada visa authority ask for Medical Exam again before granting Travel Document? or further security checks??
Please guide.
Because this might delay processing time as we intend to travel in may and they(abudhabi office) say TD valid only for 1 month so still not applied to get TD.
Best Regards
No you won't need to do medicals again.

realtexdex

Star Member
Mar 7, 2012
On this issue of travel document. I entered Canada as a PR last summer, but returned back to the US in a week. I haven't got my PR card, due to photo issues. I am planning on going to Canada in April, to stamp my H1 visa, as well as to finish the PR card process. Is it absolutely certain that I don't need a travel document if I cross into Canada on foot at the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara? I don't want to be turned away at the border with an expired US visa, and no travel document! Also is there a limit to how many travel documents you can have issued.
Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
realtexdex said:
On this issue of travel document. I entered Canada as a PR last summer, but returned back to the US in a week. I haven't got my PR card, due to photo issues. I am planning on going to Canada in April, to stamp my H1 visa, as well as to finish the PR card process. Is it absolutely certain that I don't need a travel document if I cross into Canada on foot at the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara? I don't want to be turned away at the border with an expired US visa, and no travel document! Also is there a limit to how many travel documents you can have issued.
Thanks
Do you have your landing documents and your PR visa stamp is in your passport? If yes, you have nothing to worry about. Tell Canada immigration the truth, that you did not get your PR card because of photo issues and you are coming back to take care of that now. You are a PR and you can prove it with your cancelled PR visa and your landing documents so they must let you in.

realtexdex

Star Member
Mar 7, 2012
Leon, the CIC rule says they can permit a PR into Canada with just a COPR if they drive a personal vehicle. Does that by extension mean, a rental car or even an on foot crossing at the rainbow bridge at Niagara?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, rental car or on foot is fine. They only place where you have a problem is commercial carrier like an airline or a bus because they are responsible for their passengers and they could get in trouble if they transport people to Canada without the proper visa.

akbah

Sep 27, 2012
Hi Leon
I applied for Travel Document but our all papers came back today without PRTD and they are asking additional information on Proof of Permanently Relocating to Canada.
What does that mean and what proof should we submit.
I dont have any Job offer so not resigned yet from my current Job.
Please advice
Thanx