+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel document - PR card has not arrived on time

irvah

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Hello everybody,

I need an advice; your help is greatly appreciated.

I sponsored my husband and he came to Canada in April 2016. His PR card never arrived. I had to call CIC several times, nobody knows what happened and finally they send a letter-request for new two photos. We mailed it to Sydney by courier immediately and got a confirmation of delivery on Aug 18, 2016.

I called CIC yesterday to clarify when we should expect his PR card. I was told that it takes about 3-4 weeks just to open the envelope. I was also advised that to process it takes more than 49 days in cases like ours and time varies from case to case. So, it is not clear if it will be three months or a year. The only what we can do is just wait.

My husband has a flight booked in September. He needs to leave Canada temporary due to family circumstances. Therefore, in order to come back, he will have to apply for travel document in Embassy there.
We fill out the application for travel document and have some questions:

1. When he has to apply for travel document-right after arrival or close to his flight back? He is planning to be there for up to three-four months.
2. Fee for travel document: visa offices abroad do not accept payment from banks in Canada. Would Visa office there give him some sort of invoice?
3. He is employed here and has paystubs to confirm his employment. He also has printout of health card number, SIN number and temporary driver license paperwork. Would it be enough to confirm his intention to come back?
4. For how long travel document is valid?
5. What if in a meantime (after travel document is issued) his card will arrive? Can he come back using the card instead of travel document? Does he need to notify the Embassy?
6. And finally-is it possible that Embassy would not give him travel document due to any reason?

Thank you

Radboyonline

Jan 22, 2012
Hi

With his landed papers they will give him a single entry Visafor his return back to canada. The fact that he didnt recieve his PR card before his departure is good enough reason for them to issue him the visa

Radboyonline

Jan 22, 2012
My brother stepson and daughter had to return back to brazil after they came to canada for the 1st time. They ledt before the PR cane in. The consulate gave them a single entry visa. When they came back the PR card was here.

Capin

Star Member
Jan 13, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
MEXICO CITY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-12-2015
AOR Received.
02-02-2016...........AOR2 received May 3 -2016
File Transfer...
SA 22-02-2016
Med's Done....
22-10-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/04/2017
VISA ISSUED...
01/17/2017
LANDED..........
01/23/2017
I basically have the same problem. My husband has to leave Canada for three weeks in one month from landing. Which visa office can issue the one entry visa? How long does it take?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Capin said:
I basically have the same problem. My husband has to leave Canada for three weeks in one month from landing. Which visa office can issue the one entry visa? How long does it take?
Your husband needs to apply for a PR Travel Document through the VO in the country he is going to. Processing times vary in every country.

MNM2015

Sep 25, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Your husband needs to apply for a PR Travel Document through the VO in the country he is going to. Processing times vary in every country.
Where can you find the processing times by country? I've had no luck searching for it on the CIC website. I'm worried my husband will be in the same situation after he lands and not sure he'll be away long enough to get the PR travel document issued.

irvah

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Vancouver, BC
MNM2015 said:
Where can you find the processing times by country? I've had no luck searching for it on the CIC website. I'm worried my husband will be in the same situation after he lands and not sure he'll be away long enough to get the PR travel document issued.
I was advised that it takes about 2-3 weeks (could be longer :mad:). Unfortunately I could not find link for travel document processing time.

After travel document is issued, it might be used once to enter Canada within 6 months.

In our situation I finally got an answer-they receive his picture and we can expect his PR card in 3-6 weeks. Keep my fingers crossed and good luck to you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MNM2015 said:
It isn't posted. You would need to contact the VO of the country he will be in to ask the processing time.