+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Document Help needed URGENTLY...

eucalyptuz

Jul 6, 2012
Hello,

I am an Australian citizen with dual nationality (I hold a UK passport also). I was granted Canadian permanent residency (family class) in 2007. My husband is French Canadian and works for a Canadian company that has brought us to the US for the last 16 months. During that time my PR card has expired. I am told I will need a travel document to re-enter Canada. We are planning a 10 day trip to Montreal in exactly one month but now I've discovered that it can take longer than that to get a travel document via the Canadian Consulate in Detroit. I have also heard conflicting reports that as long as I hold a return ticket back to the USA I can enter with an expired/absent PR card and NO travel document?!? Also, I am anticipating frequent travel in an out of Canada (sometimes at last minute) and so I'm wondering if there is such a thing as an Multiple Entry Travel Document for my case OR do I have to apply each time well in advance and cough up the $50. Of course it is impossible to speak to a real person at any Canadian Immigration office I call - I just end up in a loop of recorded messages on answering machines. ???

I don't really understand, why, if I fulfill the residency criteria (accompanying a Canadian citizen working for a Canadian Company) while abroad, I cannot renew my PR card and travel in and out of Canada without a hassle :(

Can anybody shed some light...

Thanks in advance!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't tell the airline you are a PR and you will be able to board based on your UK or Australian passport. As you enter Canada, you can show your expired PR card and tell them that sadly you can't renew it because you do not live in Canada at the moment. As a PR who meets the residency requirements, they must let you in.

eucalyptuz

Jul 6, 2012
Thanks so much for your speedy reply. The air tickets are booked without mention of PR card (I think).

I would really like to simply renew the PR card and have it sent to my in-laws and get them to post it to me in the US. Is this legal? What if I fill in the application while in Canada and post it off? I don't want to break any law or even blur any law...

Cheers

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is an option. Immigration rules state that the PR card application must originate within Canada but it is not a reason to refuse the card only because the applicant is not in Canada. They have plans to mail out most renewals now as they have been doing with new cards so if you are lucky, your card will be mailed to your inlaws and they can mail it to you. If immigration requests that you come in person to collect your card, you will have to go visit your inlaws again.

eucalyptuz

Jul 6, 2012
Thanks for your advice (even the bit about visiting the in-laws ;))
I will apply for the PR renewal while in Canada if the only stipulation is that the application originates from Canada. The address that I give will be a postal one only as we have non-residency status for taxation purposes...

Thanks!