+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

travel document and residency obligations

ail

Jan 15, 2012
Hi all,

I landed on June 2012 and stayed for 2 weeks and then left Canada. I didn’t receive the PR card. I plan to return to Canada by October 2013 and have to apply for travel document. My question is will be there any problem getting the travel document or it will be rejected because I didn’t stay in Canada for 730 days. Do I still meet the residency obligations?

Thanks so much

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you are still in your first 5 years as a PR, the criteria is not if you have already stayed 730 days in Canada but if you still could and you still could so you still meet the requirements and shouldn't have any problems getting a travel document.

If you want to return in October, you should probably apply soon. The processing time varies but they are usually valid for 6 months so you could apply now and make sure you would have it before October.

JAVILAN82

Nov 7, 2011
Hi,

My spouse and I are more or less in the same situation as Ail. She is from Mexico and I am from Spain. She is the first applicant. We first arrived in february 2012 (PR visas were issued in october 2012), stayed for a week, did not ask for PRC and came back to Spain. Now we are flying to Canada in August 2013 for final settlement.

She has already asked for a travel document in Canadian Embassy in Mexico. My question is do I really need to obtain the same document? Being Spain a visa exempted country, I understand I can enter Canada as a tourist and once there ask for my permanent resident card upon verification of permanent residency obligation. Am I correct or do I still need a travel document?

Thanks, javier

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JAVILAN82 said:
Hi,

My spouse and I are more or less in the same situation as Ail. She is from Mexico and I am from Spain. She is the first applicant. We first arrived in february 2012 (PR visas were issued in october 2012), stayed for a week, did not ask for PRC and came back to Spain. Now we are flying to Canada in August 2013 for final settlement.

She has already asked for a travel document in Canadian Embassy in Mexico. My question is do I really need to obtain the same document? Being Spain a visa exempted country, I understand I can enter Canada as a tourist and once there ask for my permanent resident card upon verification of permanent residency obligation. Am I correct or do I still need a travel document?

Thanks, javier
You don't need a travel document but you don't enter as a tourist. When you arrive in Canada, you introduce yourself as a PR at immigration and show your landing papers. A travel document is more for the airline to assure them that you will be let into Canada. You have a visa exempt passport so you don't have to tell the airline that you are a PR.

JAVILAN82

Nov 7, 2011
Thanks very much leon. Just one more thing. If I have a visa exemption the airline won't ask anything but my flight is a one way flight to Canada. No return. Would not that pose any problem?

I am wondering whether the airline might ask for my PRC / travel document if they see there is no flight back to Spain.

In this case, I will have to argue that I am a permanent resident in Canada and that is why I booked a one way flight. As I do not have neither a PRC nor a travel document, I won't be able to proof my resident status to the airline, in which case they might oblige me to book a flight back to Spain.

It might sound redundant what I am saying but just want to make sure we are ok. I am completely sure we are able to meet the residency period obligation and therefore should not have any trouble at Canadian customs, but not sure about how will this work with the airline.

Thanks and regards, javier

Thanks and regards, javier

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ask the airline if it's compulsory to buy a return ticket. In all my years of travelling, I don't think I have ever been asked to show a return ticket when boarding a plane. If you must, you can buy an open return ticket that you can cash in later or you could also apply for a PR travel document like your wife.

ansjones__

Aug 21, 2015
Hi all,

I know this is a old post but I need some help if anyone is able to help!?!

I became a PR on October 1st 2014 but had to go back to England for a while. I don't have my PR card so I need to apply for a PRTD as I'm travelling back.

My questions:

Do I provide any of the following documents they show in bullet points on the form (IMM 5627)?? Or do I need to supply ALL??

The last thing I want to do is make a mistake.

I'd appreciate any help.

Many thanks

Adam

ail said:
Hi all,

I landed on June 2012 and stayed for 2 weeks and then left Canada. I didn't receive the PR card. I plan to return to Canada by October 2013 and have to apply for travel document. My question is will be there any problem getting the travel document or it will be rejected because I didn't stay in Canada for 730 days. Do I still meet the residency obligations?

Thanks so much

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ansjones__ said:
Hi all,

I know this is a old post but I need some help if anyone is able to help!?!

I became a PR on October 1st 2014 but had to go back to England for a while. I don't have my PR card so I need to apply for a PRTD as I'm travelling back.

My questions:

Do I provide any of the following documents they show in bullet points on the form (IMM 5627)?? Or do I need to supply ALL??

The last thing I want to do is make a mistake.

I'd appreciate any help.

Many thanks

Adam
You don't need a PRTD if travelling on a visitor visa exempt passport to Canada e.g UK. Airline will assume you are a tourist at boarding so they won't bother if you have a PRTD or not. When you arrive in Canada CBSA will admit you as a PR as they have the relevant records on file. Typically those on the forum wont do the leg work and decipher what issues on the relevant form are a concern if you don't list them in your thread. However I presume you are worried about sections 8, 9, 18 (all proof of RO) and 11 (minors). You don't need the supporting documents as you have until October 2019 to meet your RO.

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
I applied for PR renewal since April 2015 as it will be expired on October 2015. I have to be back home before 1st October for university courses. Can I apply for a travel document now to allow me come back to Canada after 8 months?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
surgi said:
I applied for PR renewal since April 2015 as it will be expired on October 2015. I have to be back home before 1st October for university courses. Can I apply for a travel document now to allow me come back to Canada after 8 months?
Sure but before you do anything do you meet the Residence Obligation as it will be assessed when you apply for a PRTD?

Pharmcawy

Sep 13, 2015
My question if i have my PR expired and now i meet the the 730 days rule but out of the first 5 years window i mean after the pr expired with 2 months [size=10pt]Should i get the travel document or there may be problems due to the fact i didnt complete the 730 days within the first 5 years counted from the date of landing???[/size]

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Pharmcawy said:
My question if i have my PR expired and now i meet the the 730 days rule but out of the first 5 years window i mean after the pr expired with 2 months [size=10pt]Should i get the travel document or there may be problems due to the fact i didnt complete the 730 days within the first 5 years counted from the date of landing???[/size]
Your post isn't entirely clear. Have you lived in Canada for at least two full years in the five years immediately preceeding today's date? When was the last time you were in Canada? Have you been in Canada in the last year? I assume you are outside of Canada right now?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pharmcawy said:
When you apply for a travel document, immigration can only examine the 5 years immediately before you applied for it. They can not go back further in time and look at any other 5 year period.

Pharmcawy

Sep 13, 2015
scylla said:
Your post isn't entirely clear. Have you lived in Canada for at least two full years in the five years immediately preceeding today's date? When was the last time you were in Canada? Have you been in Canada in the last year? I assume you are outside of Canada right now?
DONT ASSUME is the golden role in this country

i spent more thant two years in the past 5 years preceding my application and will renew my PR soon However i wont wait till i receive it I KNOW IT TAKES AVERAGE 6 MONTHS AT LEAST so i will travel with a risk of obsessive thoughts WHAT if for any reason they ddnt issue my travel document worth mentioning i spent the last 11 months in CANADA

My question is do guys in the canadian embassy abroad in my country ( with repetition of being super complicated guys) Could by any chance deny my travel document application because and only because i met the 730 days after the pr expired

i knew that this role of waiting till 730 days are met dont go any where outside it works like a charm inside Canada but HOW ABOUT THE GUYS IN THE EMBASSYS ABROAD WHAT WILL BE THEIR RESPONSE ANY CLUES OR EXPERIENCE GUYS