psc

Star Member
Nov 14, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Have a question,

I recently drove to US via Niagara for shopping for first time on visit for 2 hours as Canadian PR, at border cross, US officials attached white card to my Indian passport. ( I understood this part as this will allow me to re visit without screening)
As I returned same day to Canada in 2 hours, my question is,

Are my days still counted, that I am in US, do I have to report this to US & Canadian officials, that I am physically back in Canada same day as I don't want extra days deducted ,that will delay me to file for Canadian citizenship.

Please advice.

Regards

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Even day trips (less than 24 hours), including to the United States have to be reported when applying for citizenship. You don't have to report that you are back, but simply keep track of your trips so you can include them in your physical presence calculation.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Adding to above the day anyone leaves Canada and the day someone returns are counted as days in Canada even if counted in minutes. So for an extreme example leave Canada at 0001 on a Friday and return 0001 on a Saturday are still 2 whole days in Canada. Still need to be in the Physical presence tool though which will adjust accordingly.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
. . . . as I don't want extra days deducted ,that will delay me to file for Canadian citizenship.
In addition to keeping a journal of ALL dates you exit Canada (even if only long enough to fill up the gas tank on the U.S. side of the border), it is a good idea to WAIT to apply long enough to have a good margin over the minimum. Applying based on just meeting the absolute minimum presence requirement works but only if everything is perfectly aligned and even then the process can be delayed longer than the routine timeline. Waiting extra weeks, if not a month or more (or even longer for some individuals in certain kinds of situations), is the prudent approach. Applying sooner can often result in not getting to take the oath until significantly later.

Adding to above the day anyone leaves Canada and the day someone returns are counted as days in Canada even if counted in minutes. So for an extreme example leave Canada at 0001 on a Friday and return 0001 on a Saturday are still 2 whole days in Canada. Still need to be in the Physical presence tool though which will adjust accordingly.
Yep. But for emphasis:

Technically an exit at 00:01 am Friday and return 11:59 pm Saturday will still be ZERO days absent even though the person was outside Canada for 47 hours and 57 minutes.

In contrast, an exit at 11:59 pm Thursday and a return 00:01 am Sunday (three or four minutes longer than the above example) will count as TWO DAYS ABSENT.

Yeah, four minutes difference can be the difference between ZERO days absent and TWO days absent.

The vagaries of calendar-based calculations.