+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Daily to USA with Canadian PR

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
@Mthornt import process as in?? Do you get a nexus card without being a US or Canadian citizenship?

I believe that as a Canadian PR you can get a Nexus card. If you're a frequent border crosser, it makes a tremendous difference. Apologies, by import process I was referring to importing your car.

jwar

Mar 19, 2017
So I can start the process of importing the car or get the car imported(take canadian plate) & apply for a nexus card, that way I can cross the border without much hassle. Typically, how much time does it take to cross the border with the nexus card?

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Yup, you'll need to export the car from the US first, they say you have to wait 72 hours to cross back in to Canada but you don't. Then keep the documents in your car. Once that's finished, begin the import process on the Canadian side, and once again keep the documentation in your car. I did this for a couple months to prevent hassle. In the meantime, apply for your Nexus card, it's good for 5 years, and on those days when they have delays at the border, or there's only one lane open and a bunch of cars waiting, the Nexus lane will also be open and will save you a ton of time. You may need to modify your car slightly to finish the import process. In my case, I needed daytime running lights installed, which cost me about CAD$240 for the parts and labor. Take it to Canadian Tire, they're a lot less likely to try to rip you off for the modifications than some of the smaller shops that are authorized to do the modifications.

I think I paid CAD$295 all together to import the car, and didn't have to pay any import duties since I already owned the car, and included it on my "items to follow" list. Which province are you importing to?

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Can anyone pls share their experience of daily commute b/w Canada-USA ?
I've had to do it, pretty simple really. Make sure you have all the documents they'll ask you for in your hand ready, I'd also recommend getting a Nexus card, it will save you lots of time crossing back and forth each day. Get your car imported and plated ASAP, otherwise every once in awhile you'll get a newbie that decides he/she wants to be pain in the ass. As long as you have everything in order it won't be a problem. Which border crossing will you be using?

mk2479

Apr 12, 2018
Thanks for your reply .. very helpful....
I am planning to use Niagara Falls crossing ...
Also curious ... how much extra tax one need to pay ( after using US tax credits ) ... for let’s say 100k salary ...

Reactions: Mthornt

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Thanks for your reply .. very helpful....
I am planning to use Niagara Falls crossing ...
Also curious ... how much extra tax one need to pay ( after using US tax credits ) ... for let’s say 100k salary ...

No clue, next tax season will be my first year doing the US/Canada tax thing.

mohitm

Apr 4, 2016
As long as you spent a single minute of a day in Canada, it counts as a day of residence. Partial days count as residency days. So if the OP commutes to work every day he can count those days.

See section 6.4 of this file
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf23-eng.pdf
So while using the Physical Presence Calculator, do daily commuters to US still need to mention all the days of daily commute or just the days they were completely (not even a single minute) out?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
So while using the Physical Presence Calculator, do daily commuters to US still need to mention all the days of daily commute or just the days they were completely (not even a single minute) out?
Yes, every absence from Canada no matter how short must be listed. If you don't know the exact dates do it as well as you can and attach an explanation that your list is approximate.

sumit8383

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
Hello Folks,

I haven't started doing the daily commute, but planning on starting doing it soon. I understand that it can be done on H1B visa( which is what i have right now), but in case the H1 extension get denied in current environment, is it possible to get a business visa and continue commuting? I am guessing one would be commuting less frequently to justify business trips as compared to working on H1B. Any thoughts on this would be useful.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Yes, every absence from Canada no matter how short must be listed. If you don't know the exact dates do it as well as you can and attach an explanation that your list is approximate.

I'm just using an excel sheet as a travel diary to keep track. Pretty simple method so far.