+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel authorisation for Extended family members of PR holder

sandhu70

Dec 1, 2016
Do extended family members of PR holder also need to prove that their travel is non discretionary. Nothing about this is mentioned on IRCC website. However for immediate family member of temporary resident its mentioned that you need to prove that your travel is non discretionary. My spouse is temporary resident and my request for travel authorisation has been rejected twice. My sister is PR and i was thinking of applying travel authorisation letter as extended family member of PR. Can anyone help me in understanding this.

sandhu70

Dec 1, 2016
Do extended family members of PR holder also need to prove that their travel is non discretionary. Nothing about this is mentioned on IRCC website. However for immediate family member of temporary resident its mentioned that you need to prove that your travel is non discretionary. My spouse is temporary resident and my request for travel authorisation has been rejected twice. My sister is PR and i was thinking of applying travel authorisation letter as extended family member of PR. Can anyone help me in understanding this.
@canuck78 @Naturgrl @scylla Please suggest.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes you need to show that your travel is essential. Why do you need to travel in a pandemic to see your sister? Having a spouse in Canada and applying twice (rejected) are concerns you will not leave.. Do you have a visitor visa.

Reactions: sandhu70

sandhu70

Dec 1, 2016
Yes you need to show that your travel is essential. Why do you need to travel in a pandemic to see your sister? Having a spouse in Canada and applying twice (rejected) are concerns you will not leave.. Do you have a visitor visa.
Yes I have visitor visa. Applied on 24 January 2021 and approved on 10 February 2021. I am asking about travel authorisation letter. Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes I have visitor visa. Applied on 24 January 2021 and approved on 10 February 2021. I am asking about travel authorisation letter. Thanks
So you need to show your travel is essential to see your sister. As stated above, your spouse is in Canada and you have been rejected twice. Concerns that you will not leave. If you spouse is in Canada, why haven’t you applied for a work permit?

sandhu70

Dec 1, 2016
Yes I understand that I am travelling during pandemic. But as mentioned on IRCC immediate family members of PR dont even need authorisation letter to travel so they need not to prove essential travel. However for extended family members of PR they havent mentioned to prove travel is necessary but for immediate family members they specifically mentioned that travel has to be necessary. So I was thinking of applying as extended family member of PR.

Regarding your last line Concerns That You Will Not Leave. I did not understand what this means. They have already approved my visitor visa and I also dont plan to stay beyond my legal status.

sandhu70

Dec 1, 2016
For extended family members of PR To board your flight to Canada
You must

• follow all airline requirements and pass a health check conducted by airline officials to confirm that you don’t have symptoms of COVID-19, including a fever, a cough and difficulty breathing
    • Anyone showing symptoms will not be allowed to board a flight to Canada.
  • make sure you have a valid travel document (visitor visa or eTA, if required) and a passport that is valid to come to Canada
  • tell the airline that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions and present a copy of the completed application for authorization and statutory declaration as well as the written authorization
  • be prepared to provide additional proof to show that you’re an extended family member of a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or Canadian permanent resident if asked
    • for example, a birth certificate or other documents that show a family connection, such as documents that show a shared address
  • be able to provide evidence of one of the following:
    • You’ll stay in Canada for 15 days or more.
    • You’re travelling for a non-discretionary purpose
As i read its one of the above two conditions in red color.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I understand that I am travelling during pandemic. But as mentioned on IRCC immediate family members of PR dont even need authorisation letter to travel so they need not to prove essential travel. However for extended family members of PR they havent mentioned to prove travel is necessary but for immediate family members they specifically mentioned that travel has to be necessary. So I was thinking of applying as extended family member of PR.

Regarding your last line Concerns That You Will Not Leave. I did not understand what this means. They have already approved my visitor visa and I also dont plan to stay beyond my legal status.
Think that @Naturgrlmeans that IRCC has concerns that you are not a true visitor and will want to remain in Canada longterm to live with your spouse. SOWP is the appropriate permit if 5hat is your goal.

sandhu70

Dec 1, 2016
Think that @Naturgrlmeans that IRCC has concerns that you are not a true visitor and will want to remain in Canada longterm to live with your spouse. SOWP is the appropriate permit if 5hat is your goal.
As I said I already have valid visitor visa. To issue travel authorisation letter why should ircc have concerns. I am confused now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As I said I already have valid visitor visa. To issue travel authorisation letter why should ircc have concerns. I am confused now.
Travel authorizations are only being given for those who have essential travel. If you had an SOWP then you would have better proof that you will be relocating to Canada on a permanent basis and not just visiting Canada. Having an SOWP and a job offer would be even better

sandhu70

Dec 1, 2016
Travel authorizations are only being given for those who have essential travel. If you had an SOWP then you would have better proof that you will be relocating to Canada on a permanent basis and not just visiting Canada. Having an SOWP and a job offer would be even better
I understand it now. Thanks for explaining. Actually, I was planning to apply SOWP once inside Canada. What I want to know is that is there more chance of getting travel authorisation letter if I apply as extended family member of PR rather than immediate family member of Temporary resident.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand it now. Thanks for explaining. Actually, I was planning to apply SOWP once inside Canada. What I want to know is that is there more chance of getting travel authorisation letter if I apply as extended family member of PR rather than immediate family member of Temporary resident.
There are no statistics. It all depends on your reason for travel and whether it is essential.

sandhu70

Dec 1, 2016
There are no statistics. It all depends on your reason for travel and whether it is essential.
I found this.

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/10/canada-reveals-how-extended-family-compassionate-travellers-can-apply-for-travel-exemptions-1016013.html#gs.20hb98

Copy paste from above article

Details have been released on Canada’s definition of extended family members, requirements for compassionate travellers to get exempt, and how to get limited release from quarantine.

As of today, October 8, extended family members can now cross the border to Canada, provided they are staying for at least 15 days and meet existing eligibility and admissibility requirements. If you are extended family, you do not need a non-optional, non-discretionary reason to travel to Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I found this.

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/10/canada-reveals-how-extended-family-compassionate-travellers-can-apply-for-travel-exemptions-1016013.html#gs.20hb98

Copy paste from above article

Details have been released on Canada’s definition of extended family members, requirements for compassionate travellers to get exempt, and how to get limited release from quarantine.

As of today, October 8, extended family members can now cross the border to Canada, provided they are staying for at least 15 days and meet existing eligibility and admissibility requirements. If you are extended family, you do not need a non-optional, non-discretionary reason to travel to Canada.
Canada didn’t allow extended family members to enter due to covid until this date.