+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel after PR Card Renewal

vikram100185

Jul 25, 2017
Hello,

I am currently living in Canada and my PR card is expired. I will complete my 730 days in May 2024 . Once I have done that, I will renew my PR card.

Once I have applied for renewal, would it be safe for me to travel immediately outside Canada ? I need to be outside Canada for few months for some important work I have been postponing. I have a valid US visa , so once they renew my card and is ready for pickup , Can i travel by road and show the immigration that I am entering to pick up my renewed card ?

And If there is an option to deliver to a particular address, Can I either provide my friend's address or use my address but ask my friend to collect it for me and pass it to me at the Niagara border?

Thanks
Vikram

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am currently living in Canada and my PR card is expired. I will complete my 730 days in May 2024 . Once I have done that, I will renew my PR card.

Once I have applied for renewal, would it be safe for me to travel immediately outside Canada ? I need to be outside Canada for few months for some important work I have been postponing. I have a valid US visa , so once they renew my card and is ready for pickup , Can i travel by road and show the immigration that I am entering to pick up my renewed card ?

And If there is an option to deliver to a particular address, Can I either provide my friend's address or use my address but ask my friend to collect it for me and pass it to me at the Niagara border?

Thanks
Vikram
Are you planning on applying right at 730 days? Has your PR card already expired?

vikram100185

Jul 25, 2017
Are you planning on applying right at 730 days? Has your PR card already expired?
Yeah - it is already expired , that's why I am not travelling anywhere until I complete 730 days.

Yeah - I am planning to apply with 20 days buffer - so around when I complete 750 days.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yeah - it is already expired , that's why I am not travelling anywhere until I complete 730 days.

Yeah - I am planning to apply with 20 days buffer - so around when I complete 750 days.
You are fine to travel. Make sure you are 100% certain about your math on the days and definitely make sure you have a buffer.

Since you are applying close to the 750 days, processing may take longer / your application may be sent for secondary review. Be prepared for the possibility you may need to apply for a PRTD to return to Canada (unless you have a US visa and can enter at a land border).

vikram100185

Jul 25, 2017
Yeah I am quite certain as I have neither travelled outside since I arrived nor planning to do it until I complete 730 days. So I will be 100% sure of my RO when I eventually apply for my renewal.

Yes I have a US visa, so I can travel via land border. So in case I do that , Do I just need to carry a copy of my PR card renewal application and IRCC notification for the secondary review?

Thanks for the reply.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah I am quite certain as I have neither travelled outside since I arrived nor planning to do it until I complete 730 days. So I will be 100% sure of my RO when I eventually apply for my renewal.

Yes I have a US visa, so I can travel via land border. So in case I do that , Do I just need to carry a copy of my PR card renewal application and IRCC notification for the secondary review?

Thanks for the reply.
Short form: you do not/should not technically need your PR card renewal app - if they can identify you as a PR from eg your passport (they have computers), other Canadian documents/ID like driver's license, COPR, old PR card, etc., they will let you in.

But taking a copy of your PR card renewal app and showing it is a good idea, because less likely they will delay you at the border to look into your RO and ask questions. A better/higher chance you'd just get waved through because the renewal app would answer most of the questions they're likely to ask. (They might see the doc and not bother looking at it - because only an idiot would show a fake/untruthful/incomplete PR renewal app)