+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel after Oath

Babu10

Jul 3, 2022
Hello All,
I traveled to India immediately after taking oath due to family emergency.
Can I travel back to Canada ?? With india passport.
I also applied for PR card before the Oath and now I received my new PR card and citizenship certificate as well.
I do not have time to apply for canada passport as it is taking long time to get new passport from Indian embassy.

I know PR card is not valid after taking oath, but what are the consequences if I use PR card as a travel document.

Please provide some advice.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,
I also applied for PR card before the Oath and now I received my new PR card and citizenship certificate as well.
I do not have time to apply for canada passport as it is taking long time to get new passport from Indian embassy.

I know PR card is not valid after taking oath, but what are the consequences if I use PR card as a travel document.

If you have a US visa on your Indian passport, you can fly to US and enter Canada by foot or drive. CBSA should be able to verify your status with your Indian passport.

Once you became citizen, your PR card is not valid.

Babu10

Jul 3, 2022
How did it go? What you end up doing?
upon arrival, i explained my situation, officer at border asked me for my DL and citizenship certificate. I provided them to the officer and after checking, he allowed me to pass through.

DD4Canada

Aug 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-5-2010
Doc's Request.
03-11-2010
Nomination.....
Waiting
AOR Received.
Waiting
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Did they check or ask for PR Card at indian airport while returning to canada and what explanation did you give them for not having it and travelling on indian passport when you were an indian citizen.

Babu10

Jul 3, 2022
Did they check or ask for PR Card at indian airport while returning to canada and what explanation did you give them for not having it and travelling on indian passport when you were an indian citizen.
I traveled to US first and then to Canada via road , only US visa is checked at indian Airport.

Reactions: YVR123

rickyufv

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 4th, 2015
Doc's Request.
July 16th, 2015
AOR Received.
July 5th, 2015
Hello All,

I also want to travel to the US (family emergency) and from there to India. I took my oath. I have a valid US visa on my Indian passport.

Canada -> US - Fly and show a valid US visa on an Indian passport.
US -> India - Upon arrival, show the Indian passport, as I think I will be on a grace period since I have not obtained a Canadian passport yet.
Apply for a Canadian passport from India, surrender the Indian passport and apply for OCI.

sajjarapu

Star Member
May 12, 2017
I also want to travel to the US (family emergency) and from there to India. I took my oath. I have a valid US visa on my Indian passport.

Canada -> US - Fly and show a valid US visa on an Indian passport.
US -> India - Upon arrival, show the Indian passport, as I think I will be on a grace period since I have not obtained a Canadian passport yet.
Apply for a Canadian passport from India, surrender the Indian passport and apply for OCI.
Hi What did you end up doing ? Did you have any issue at India ? or while surrendering your passport after coming back ?

sajjarapu

Star Member
May 12, 2017
Hello All,

hi Babu,
Did you have any issues during indian immigration ? Did you face any issues later ?