+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel after Oath Ceremony but before receiving Certificate of Citizenship or Canadian Passport

california

Apr 24, 2009
I'd like to know how to enter Canada by land border from the US after the video Oath but before receiving citizenship certificate or Canadian passport. I know PR card is no longer available after the Oath. Does Nexus card or a visa-free passport still good to travel back to Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'd like to know how to enter Canada by land border from the US after the video Oath but before receiving citizenship certificate or Canadian passport. I know PR card is no longer available after the Oath. Does Nexus card or a visa-free passport still good to travel back to Canada?
Definitely do not use Nexus. You have to update Nexus to reflect your new citizenship status before you can use it to travel.

Reactions: Omegabyte

CasioLottoMax

Star Member
Feb 2, 2017
see here if applicable for you:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

check the section “special authorization”.

aurora2014

Star Member
May 8, 2014
I was just coming here to ask the same question.

The link above is not applicable because it's all about entry by air. I have a land trip planned to the US and I expect to have citizenship well before I can possibly have a passport in hand.

aurora2014

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Searching elsewhere on the forums showed that some have used a Citizenship Certificate to return at the land border. Searching on the government websites shows this should be acceptable. (As long as it's issued and delivered by Canada Post in time)

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

Acceptable documents to denote identity and citizenship
Upon arrival at a Canadian port of entry, travellers must satisfy a CBSA border services officer (BSO) that they meet the requirements for entry into Canada. For Canadian citizens, permanent residents and persons registered under the Indian Act, this can be done through questioning and through verifying documentation such as a:

• Canadian passport
  • Canadian birth certificate
  • permanent residence card
  • citizenship card
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) card or valid Certificate of Indian Status (CIS) card
If you do not have a passport, and are returning to Canada, the following documents can denote identity and citizenship:

• NEXUS card, held by a Canadian citizen, when entering Canada by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes
  • FAST card (Free and Secure Trade), issued to a Canadian citizen (when arriving by land or marine modes only)
  • Canadian emergency travel document
  • Canadian temporary passport
  • Certificate of Canadian citizenship (issued from 1954 to present)
  • Enhanced driver's license issued by a Canadian province or territory
  • Enhanced identification/photo card issued by a Canadian province or territory
Permanent residents of Canada who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Searching elsewhere on the forums showed that some have used a Citizenship Certificate to return at the land border. Searching on the government websites shows this should be acceptable. (As long as it's issued and delivered by Canada Post in time)

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

Acceptable documents to denote identity and citizenship
Upon arrival at a Canadian port of entry, travellers must satisfy a CBSA border services officer (BSO) that they meet the requirements for entry into Canada. For Canadian citizens, permanent residents and persons registered under the Indian Act, this can be done through questioning and through verifying documentation such as a:

• Canadian passport
  • Canadian birth certificate
  • permanent residence card
  • citizenship card
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) card or valid Certificate of Indian Status (CIS) card
If you do not have a passport, and are returning to Canada, the following documents can denote identity and citizenship:

• NEXUS card, held by a Canadian citizen, when entering Canada by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes
  • FAST card (Free and Secure Trade), issued to a Canadian citizen (when arriving by land or marine modes only)
  • Canadian emergency travel document
  • Canadian temporary passport
  • Certificate of Canadian citizenship (issued from 1954 to present)
  • Enhanced driver's license issued by a Canadian province or territory
  • Enhanced identification/photo card issued by a Canadian province or territory
Permanent residents of Canada who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.
I agree with this. But again, for Nexus, you have to update Nexus to reflect the change to Canadian citizenship before you travel. Using a Nexus card where any info is out of date is a recipe for disaster. They have zero tolerance for this and will revoke your card for what seems like a very minor reason.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
I agree with this. But again, for Nexus, you have to update Nexus to reflect the change to Canadian citizenship before you travel. Using a Nexus card where any info is out of date is a recipe for disaster. They have zero tolerance for this and will revoke your card for what seems like a very minor reason.
Scylla how does this work for dual American-Canadians? My understanding is only one citizenship can be shown on the Nexus card, so if it's left as USA, surely that won't pose a problem re-entering Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Scylla how does this work for dual American-Canadians? My understanding is only one citizenship can be shown on the Nexus card, so if it's left as USA, surely that won't pose a problem re-entering Canada?
It's not about what shows on the card and changing the card itself. You have to change your Nexus record to reflect the fact you are no longer a Canadian PR but are now a citizen. You don't need a new Nexus card in this situation. You just need to update the information associated with the card before you travel with it again. Nexus has a zero tolerance policy and I know a couple of people who lost theirs for what most of us would say are extremely minor infractions.

Reactions: Omegabyte