+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

travel after apply

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I applied for citizenship a few days ago. I have a question about travel. According to CIC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-after.asp

While we process your application, you should only contact CIC if:
you change your address,
you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row
Does this mean I need to notify CIC every time I need to visit my home country, or travel to attend conferences, etc. for over 2 weeks in a row? Even the travel is temporary?

Thank you.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
yes, if you are going for more than 2 weeks in a row then yes because they won't schedule any test or appointment for you during that time.

If you go without telling them and in your two weeks absence you receive a letter asking something like test, additional documents and if you miss the deadline for submission then it will be big trouble for you

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
December_Applicant said:
How much time in advance, should one inform CIC about travel plans and how much advance in time do they let you know of the test date?
There is no hard-and-fast rule for this, but, in general, the sooner the better. The CIC typically gives between 1 1/2 weeks to a month notice of a test or oath.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
December_Applicant said:
I might have to attend a wedding ceremony in India for 3-4 weeks. If I re-schedule the test, will my application be delayed and what about oath?
If you haven't gotten a test invite yet, no, you won't have to reschedule. Just inform CIC of the trip when you book your ticket.

If you miss a test or have to reschedule (rescheduling is tricky), yes, your application will probably be delayed a bit. How much? No one can say. Will it happen for certain? No one can say.

It's best to follow the instructions. Inform CIC. If they delay sending you the test invite for 3 weeks, it's not a big deal. You've got to live your life. But be smart and follow the instructions.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
December_Applicant said:
what if I have to leave after the test and before the Oath? can this be problematic?
Why would this be a problem? Assuming you inform CIC and you're still meeting your PR residency obligation?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
December_Applicant said:
I heard the oath date cant be re-scheduled and is set in stone. So lets say I informed CIC in advanced and if after taking the test, I travel to India to attend the wedding and then the Oath date is announced and if I am in India at that time, will it be a problem?

Not worried about residency at all. This country is our home and we have been living here since arrived.
No, it can be rescheduled. You just need a good reason and to inform CIC ahead of time. A wedding sounds like a good reason. But the people I know who were able to reschedule already knew their oath date. Not sure about people who told CIC in advance that they are unavailable before they got the oath invite letter...

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
December_Applicant said:
I heard the oath date cant be re-scheduled and is set in stone. So lets say I informed CIC in advanced and if after taking the test, I travel to India to attend the wedding and then the Oath date is announced and if I am in India at that time, will it be a problem?
The purpose of informing CIC of travel is so they don't schedule you for an event while you're away. Other than that, they don't care when and where you travel as long as you meet your PR residency obligation.

If they schedule you anyway, that's something you can deal with in the future. It's really not something you need to game out now. If you're really worried about it, make sure to either inform CIC of any travel dates in writing, keeping copies for yourself. Include your UCI and file number in any correspondence and send it with a tracking number and signature requirement.

Otherwise, just keep a log of your CIC Help Centre calls, noting the date and time of your calls, the name of the agent and what was said.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The question has already been answered a couple times on this thread.

thecoolguysam said:
yes, if you are going for more than 2 weeks in a row then yes because they won't schedule any test or appointment for you during that time.
eileenf said:
The purpose of informing CIC of travel is so they don't schedule you for an event while you're away.