+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trapped in the Phillipines, anyway to get my girlfriend to Canada ?

YVR-MNL

Apr 3, 2020
No problem, no he isn't a Canadian citizen yet. If he was then I would still need an authorization letter from his Mother for him to travel with me alone. Same thing that's required for 1 parent to travel anywhere by air.

Our application was filed in December 2019. Process is fine, you can do the application yourself. Just have to be very thorough in your preparations for completing the forms. Then a lot of patience as your app goes through the system. This forum is the best resource out there to help you with questions you might have during the process. There are no immigration experts here, just a lot of people who want to help others. Look around the forum more to get an idea of how it works.

Go here to get the forms that are needed, some forms are country specific, make sure you get the right ones.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application.html
Thanks for the reply. I have taken my son to Canada twice before without issue but it will be a tough time convincing my partner to sign off on the letter this time with all the bans and uncertainty, I really want to get us the h out of here. I wonder what kind of travel documents are being issued to immediate family members as related to the current crisis. I think I am misreading the immediate family exemptions here (link). I thought they would be allowing foreign nationals who are immediate family even without visas but reading it again I think a visa must already be awarded?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I have taken my son to Canada twice before without issue but it will be a tough time convincing my partner to sign off on the letter this time with all the bans and uncertainty, I really want to get us the h out of here. I wonder what kind of travel documents are being issued to immediate family members as related to the current crisis. I think I am misreading the immediate family exemptions here (link). I thought they would be allowing foreign nationals who are immediate family even without visas but reading it again I think a visa must already be awarded?
If your son is a CDN citizen and has a CDN passport then you have no issue, if a Filipino with a TRV then he can't go. Immigration won't let him. Are you the biological father? If so you could have got his CDN citizenship and passport right after he was born. How did you travel to Cda twice before without a TRV or him having a CDN passport? Either way your spouse still as to write a letter allowing your son to travel with you alone.

YVR-MNL

Apr 3, 2020
If your son is a CDN citizen and has a CDN passport then you have no issue, if a Filipino with a TRV then he can't go. Immigration won't let him. Are you the biological father? If so you could have got his CDN citizenship and passport right after he was born. How did you travel to Cda twice before without a TRV or him having a CDN passport? Either way your spouse still as to write a letter allowing your son to travel with you alone.
Yes he is a Canadian citizen with Passport, I am the biological father. She wrote us letters previously, but I have already hinted at taking him back without her and she wont even hear me out. I want us all to go to Canada together as a family and as soon as possible. And as she is an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen I was hoping she would be exempt from the travel ban, but it seems she will already need to have a visa awarded already? She has been denied TRV 4x already when we just wanted to visit my parents and attend weddings etc. due to her ties in the country (ie: me) - they dont think she will leave at the end of her visa. We have been living here in Manila together for 2 years, she has a good job for 5-6 years straight out of college and a condo lease but we still couldn't get a TRV for her, not even a transit visa when we were going to Mexico with all flights and hotels booked.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Yes he is a Canadian citizen with Passport, I am the biological father. She wrote us letters previously, but I have already hinted at taking him back without her and she wont even hear me out. I want us all to go to Canada together as a family and as soon as possible. And as she is an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen I was hoping she would be exempt from the travel ban, but it seems she will already need to have a visa awarded already? She has been denied TRV 4x already when we just wanted to visit my parents and attend weddings etc. due to her ties in the country (ie: me) - they dont think she will leave at the end of her visa. We have been living here in Manila together for 2 years, she has a good job for 5-6 years straight out of college and a condo lease but we still couldn't get a TRV for her, not even a transit visa when we were going to Mexico with all flights and hotels booked.
You are in a tough situation my friend. I saw in the link you provided there is a provision to get a TRV for URGENT travel home. What constitutes urgent I don't know. With the past refusals it might not work now. The "don't think she will leave" is the most common reason of TRV refusal. After a refusal you need to address whatever the issue is that it denied getting approved. You, as a CDN citizen, under the freedom of information act can submit a request for more info as to why it was refused.

If she does want to move to Canada with you then start an outland PR application. Normal process time they say is 12 months, could be more or less than that. Apart from that and obviously not a quick solution by any means I can't offer any other advice to you. You are married or common law?

YVR-MNL

Apr 3, 2020
You are in a tough situation my friend. I saw in the link you provided there is a provision to get a TRV for URGENT travel home. What constitutes urgent I don't know. With the past refusals it might not work now. The "don't think she will leave" is the most common reason of TRV refusal. After a refusal you need to address whatever the issue is that it denied getting approved. You, as a CDN citizen, under the freedom of information act can submit a request for more info as to why it was refused.

If she does want to move to Canada with you then start an outland PR application. Normal process time they say is 12 months, could be more or less than that. Apart from that and obviously not a quick solution by any means I can't offer any other advice to you. You are married or common law?
We are not legally married but have been living together in Ph for 2 years. That being said i am not sure if we would qualify as common law as I took several trips home to Canada to visit my parents, some as log as 6 weeks.

The past refusals are infuriating to be honest, as well as very very expensive due to last minute rebooking flights etc. That is interesting about the FOI request, not something I had considered, or was even aware of. Her TRV applications were as thick as textbooks with leases, notarized letters, bank statements, employment letters, pictures etc.

As far as "urgency" I would hope having full time care for my son would be considered urgent as I would have to be working.

Thanks again for the insight.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
We are not legally married but have been living together in Ph for 2 years. That being said i am not sure if we would qualify as common law as I took several trips home to Canada to visit my parents, some as log as 6 weeks.

The past refusals are infuriating to be honest, as well as very very expensive due to last minute rebooking flights etc. That is interesting about the FOI request, not something I had considered, or was even aware of. Her TRV applications were as thick as textbooks with leases, notarized letters, bank statements, employment letters, pictures etc.

As far as "urgency" I would hope having full time care for my son would be considered urgent as I would have to be working.

Thanks again for the insight.
I understand your frustration. I doubt another TRV app would do anything in your present circumstances. Usually after 2 refusals you might as well give up unless you change something. IMO, in this order, you should get married, try to get a TRV again, with your history together you might/should get it, once in Canada apply for PR inland, once you do that she can stay in Cda while being processed. If no TRV then you can apply outland but she can't go to Cda during the processing. Requires a big commitment to get married but I guess you have to make your decisions of where you want to be.

But don't take my word as gospel, just another Joe as they call us going thru a similar process, maybe more experienced members will offer opinions. @Scylia @canuck78 @canuck_in_uk

Nittin969

Mar 28, 2020
Just spoke to them yesterday to do the refund, they said it should be processed within a week. If you can't get to MNL then the rest of it is a moot point. When we heard about the sweeper flight I was scrambling like crazy to arrange a flight out. Very few seats out there, I won't tell you how much I spent on the Business Class tickets.

Another thing to consider is that if you do get to MNL and can't get a flight out the hotel prices are pretty high. Very few open, we were at the Airport Hilton for 4 nights @ $170 a night. And that was the special rate they were offering during the crisis!!
Thanks again for the info. I was looking at some flights near the end of April that transit through Japan(2 hour layover) from ANA for about 1100$. Do I have to get business class in order to get a refund ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks again for the info. I was looking at some flights near the end of April that transit through Japan(2 hour layover) from ANA for about 1100$. Do I have to get business class in order to get a refund ?
It doesn't need to be business class. It depends on the conditions on the ticket. You would want to book something that's fully refundable.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Book a full “ Y” , or sometimes it’s a “Y2” fare
In the endorsement box it should NOT say
Non refundable
Go online , click the box that says terms /conditions, look for the section that says conditions for refund . Should say No restrictions
Some will say refund allowed, subject to fee. Beware though sometimes those fees are like 25% of the fare, or penalty of hundreds
Cheaper the ticket , more chance of penalties