+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transport moving stuff via different border

wrocky88

Jan 26, 2014
I was landing two weeks ago via Montreal and then came back to U.S. to complete my study. Because I didn't have all things with me when I crossed the border, the officer did not ask me to complete form B4. He said that I could do the list when I enter Canada with intention of settling next time. I will finish the study soon and I plan to go back to Canada once I receive the PR card. I want to take all my stuff and go through Vancouver border. Can I fill the form B4 via Vancouver? Or I must go to Montreal? Thanks!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
dbss said:
Dont you have to fill your B4 form when you do your first landing?
This may have changed recently. They appear to only process B4s when you are there to "settle."

wrocky88

Jan 26, 2014
I have CSQ because I applied PR card through Montreal. The officer didn't let me fill out the B4. That's why I am so confused. I searched the Canadian government website and contacted the Canada Border Service Agency, they all told me I should be required to fill the B4 when I was first landing.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Its based on your intentions at the time you entered:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html#_a4

"10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00"