+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translation -- Korean to English

burton1j

Dec 13, 2009
For those of you in Korea having to get those extra forms translated I'm curious if you hired a translator and if so WHO? My husband seems to think we can just translate the police records and family regisrty ourselves?

Should we do it ourselves or hire a professional?

Advice greatly appreciated

gteacher

Nov 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
burton1j said:
For those of you in Korea having to get those extra forms translated I'm curious if you hired a translator and if so WHO? My husband seems to think we can just translate the police records and family regisrty ourselves?

Do it yourselves, we did and it hasn't been an issue. I might even have the templates we used if you need them..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

burton1j said:

And how are you going to notarize them? Read the Visa specific Instructions for Korea and you will see:

Assemble all your documents as listed. Check () each applicable item on the list and attach the list to your documents (a paper clip will do). Nationals of Pakistan must send originals of all documents. Nationals of other countries must send originals of the immigration forms (items 1 to 8 below) and the police certificates, and send photocopies of all other documents, unless instructed otherwise. If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals.

PMM

KL8N

Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It might be cheaper to translate the documents yourselves, then have a professional check the translation and provide notarization. That is of course if you feel up to the task of translating them yourselves. I know the Japanese Embassy looked very carefully at mine, as it was sent back for a minor error. But we saved some money by doing the legwork ourselves.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
burton1j said:

No, you absolutely cannot translate them yourselves. That's why they specifically tell you to provide a CERTIFIED translation, as PMM points out. You can translate unofficial documents, like any email or letters that you wrote each other but you definitely cannot go translating your own police record!!!!

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
I had no idea where to have some of my papers translated from Swedish to English, so I called the Swedish consulate and asked if they had any ideas. They did, and the translator they knew of was way cheaper than any of the big companies I had found online.

burton1j

Dec 13, 2009
Okay so some people have done it themselves and then on the website it says it must be a certified and notarized.

My husband belongs to a site called Couple Canada and they are urging him that it's okay to send the forms without a professional translation. He says it's fine.

But my thinking aligns with this:

ariell said:
No, you absolutely cannot translate them yourselves. That's why they specifically tell you to provide a CERTIFIED translation, as PMM points out. You can translate unofficial documents, like any email or letters that you wrote each other but you definitely cannot go translating your own police record!!!!

How would I go about getting them notarized in Korea?

Thanks everyone!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

burton1j said:
Okay so some people have done it themselves and then on the website it says it must be a certified and notarized.

My husband belongs to a site called Couple Canada and they are urging him that it's okay to send the forms without a professional translation. He says it's fine.

But my thinking aligns with this:

How would I go about getting them notarized in Korea?

Thanks everyone!
1. Yes.
2. The translator notarizes them that they are a faithful translation.

PMM

brightsage

Feb 8, 2010
Visa Office......
Vegerville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2nd. 2K10
Med's Done....
March 2nd. 2K10
we are currently struggling with this issue...we were in Vancouver recently and went to the Korean embassy and had her police records and birth certificate record translations "officially" notarized by them..they charged $4 per document so it was cheap.....the only problem was we did not have all the docs translated at that time so are looking at ways to get the rest done long distance (we are currently living in Sask.)...my wife is calling the embassy on tuesday to see if they will do it by fax or courier and what the cost will be...so i will post the outcome, once i know something

gteacher

Nov 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For anyone who is curious:

1. We translated them ourselves.
2. We did not get them notarized.

We received our PPR 2 months from the date we mailed the documents. South Korea does not require notorized documents if they are translated by the person who is submitting the application.

brightsage

Feb 8, 2010
Visa Office......
Vegerville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2nd. 2K10
Med's Done....
March 2nd. 2K10
my wife has become a faithful/fanatical reader of the couplecouple forum and she tells me the consensus on there is split about 50/50 as to if they require notorized translations or if they accept translations done by the applicant.....i suspect, like most of these issues it all depends on what kind of mood the officer is in that handles your file....in our case, if possible, we will get the embassy to notorize and stamp the translations.......just in case

burton1j

Dec 13, 2009
Just to let everyone know:

1) we translated the documents ourselves
2) we had them notarized ($180)

We mailed off our application on Friday! YIPEEEE

ekristensen

Star Member
Sep 29, 2009
Odense, Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
17-12-2009
Med's Done....
08-10-2009
Passport Req..
05-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2010
gteacher said:
For anyone who is curious:

1. We translated them ourselves.
2. We did not get them notarized.

We received our PPR 2 months from the date we mailed the documents. South Korea does not require notorized documents if they are translated by the person who is submitting the application.
We did the same, sort of. We translated them together with an acquaintance of ours who is the head English professor out at the university in our city. We didn't get any of the translations notarized and we've also gotten our PPR recently. They haven't asked us for any further documents and seem to have accepted what we gave them. Oh, but the police check we were able to get printed in English straight from the police (we are in Denmark).

So maybe it's okay if you get an authority figure (i.e. we had an English language college professor, formerly Dean of the school) to sign their name to the translations as a testament that it's a indeed correct? That's all we did. We included a cover paper with his signature saying it was a true translation of the original document, the original document (or photocopy) and a separate sheet of the translation - x3 in all for every document that needed translating.

brightsage

Feb 8, 2010
Visa Office......
Vegerville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2nd. 2K10
Med's Done....
March 2nd. 2K10
burton1j said:
Just to let everyone know:

1) we translated the documents ourselves
2) we had them notarized ($180)

We mailed off our application on Friday! YIPEEEE
Well we contacted the embassy re: translation and notorization of documents long distance and it is a no go......so burton

By whom did you get the translation notorized../.a Korean or Canadian notory....???

It looks like we will translat ethe documents ourselves and try and find a notory to notorize them...failing that i guess we translate and send them in un-notorized..........????

Any further advice re: situation

ekristensen

Star Member
Sep 29, 2009
Odense, Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
17-12-2009
Med's Done....
08-10-2009
Passport Req..
05-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2010
brightsage said:
It looks like we will translat ethe documents ourselves and try and find a notory to notorize them...failing that i guess we translate and send them in un-notorized..........????

Any further advice re: situation
You can do that just to be on the safe side but like I said before, we didn't get anything officially notarized as far as I know - maybe they consider a signature from an English university professor/translator enough because that's all we had and we got accepted for PR.