Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/4/2015
AOR Received.
21/05/2015
File Transfer...
25/05/2015
Hi all:

i got married 3 weeks ago :) in Brazil, my wife is Brazilian and now I'm preparing the application to sponsor her, she already applied for new passport with the new name (name after marriage) and after she get it she will apply for the 3 police certificates, at this stage i just have a question regarding the translation of Brazilian documents that CIC required (such as marriage and police certificates), i would like to know what is the procedure for the translation, should those documents be translated in Brazil or should she send it me and i translate it in Canada? and after the translations does those documents need any other stamps from any other authority in Brazil or Canada to be valid? i remember that before we get married there, the Brazilian government had a condition that the document should only be translated in Brazil, and after that we had to take the translated documents to another office to stamp it before the marriage office accept it , and trust me those stamps were extremely expensive .. just how we should do that ...please advise if you had experience with this

Thanks in advance

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
Consult the specific guide for your visa office, but I think the following generally applies: "Translations: If your documents are not in English or French, also include a notarized translation done by an official translator. Do not translate your own documents."

Also note the following from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=040&t=4:

"What is an affidavit for a translation?

"An affidavit for a translation is a document stating that the translation is a true and accurate version of the original text. The translator swears in front of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country where the translator lives, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document."

Reading that, I don't think they care what country the translator lives in as long as the affidavit is done in that country. In Canada, a "Commissioner of Oaths" may give a better price for such an affidavit than a lawyer or notary (although many commissioners are also lawyers or notaries). In Ottawa, we used a notary who does this service for $15: http://www.valu-notary.com/. The City of Ottawa will certify an affidavit for $40 per document. Shop around.

ASHABU

Star Member
Feb 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
sao paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/4/2015
AOR Received.
21/05/2015
File Transfer...
25/05/2015
Thanks for the fast reply BeShoo, I'm already consulting with guide for the local visa office and it still not clear where the translation should be done (Brazil or Canada). thank for the information regarding the Commissioner of Oaths, i think that will be helpful

did anyone translate his Brazilian documents to English in Brazil (Rio)? if yes please let me know what was the processes / how much you pay and so on..

Thanks

chezvelo

Star Member
Jan 23, 2015
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2014
AOR Received.
18-01-2015
File Transfer...
04-02-2015
Passport Req..
20-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2015
LANDED..........
April 2015
ASHABU said:
Hi all:

i got married 3 weeks ago :) in Brazil, my wife is Brazilian and now I'm preparing the application to sponsor her, she already applied for new passport with the new name (name after marriage) and after she get it she will apply for the 3 police certificates, at this stage i just have a question regarding the translation of Brazilian documents that CIC required (such as marriage and police certificates), i would like to know what is the procedure for the translation, should those documents be translated in Brazil or should she send it me and i translate it in Canada? and after the translations does those documents need any other stamps from any other authority in Brazil or Canada to be valid? i remember that before we get married there, the Brazilian government had a condition that the document should only be translated in Brazil, and after that we had to take the translated documents to another office to stamp it before the marriage office accept it , and trust me those stamps were extremely expensive .. just how we should do that ...please advise if you had experience with this

Thanks in advance
Hello, I am also Canadian and I am sponsoring my husband who is Brazilian. We also got married in Brazil.
Before submitting all the paperwork to Mississaga, we got all Brazilian documents translated into English right in Toronto.
I hope that helps.
I know that you probably went through a lot of pain and suffering to be able to gather all your documents to get married in Brazil (I know I did, LOL) as they require all Canadian documents to be stamped by the Brazilian Consulate in Canada and then legalized when they get to Brazil and so on and so forth. But anyway, long story short, when it comes to the Sponsorship Application for Canada, all you need is your documents to be translated into English or French, that´s all.

ASHABU

Star Member
Feb 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
sao paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/4/2015
AOR Received.
21/05/2015
File Transfer...
25/05/2015
chezvelo,, i think you exactly understand my point ..:)
so i understand that all what i need is just sworn translation and thats all and no need for other stamps or legalized ,,,itc, :)

Im in Toronto too,, i dont want to sound cheap but can i ask how much did cost you translate the document, for example how much per page..i understand that i have to shop around as the price depends on the translator

EmploymentOppty

May 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a person who went through the translation nightmare, I could share my experience:
Here's my list of inexpensive and reliable translation guys.

- http://www.docsbase.ca/ - ATIO, OTTIAQ, difficult cases (they've really-really helped me a lot with my Citizenship application).

- http://document-translation.ca/ - seem to be Ok. Used them for business translation. Fair and relatively fast

- http://docwork.ca/ - a bit slow, but also not expensive