+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translated documents question Help please

mixxingh

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
Hi guys.... I got my documents translated in Canada from a government certified translator. I am sending my original documents along with the certified translated documents for spouse visa

question I have is if I am sending originals , do I also need to send certified copies?

as listed on their website?

Unless stated in your checklist, you must attach the following for any documents that are not in English or French:
  • a certified copy of the original document; and
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation.
Please help

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi guys.... I got my documents translated in Canada from a government certified translator. I am sending my original documents along with the certified translated documents for spouse visa

question I have is if I am sending originals , do I also need to send certified copies?

as listed on their website?

Unless stated in your checklist, you must attach the following for any documents that are not in English or French:
  • a certified copy of the original document; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation.
Please help
If it is not in English or French, you must send it with.
  • the English or French translation and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation and
  • a certified photocopy of the original document
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=018&top=4

Last edited:

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
I'm pretty sure that when you submit an Original document there is no need of a certified copy... it makes sense right ?

I would say that when they DO NOT require the Original, then you sensend a Certified copy. Double check with the instructions, it will say WHEN it has to be an original and WHEN it has to be a copy.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
I'm pretty sure that when you submit an Original document there is no need of a certified copy... it makes sense right ?

I would say that when they DO NOT require the Original, then you sensend a Certified copy. Double check with the instructions, it will say WHEN it has to be an original and WHEN it has to be a copy.
Translation of documents
You must send the following for any document that is not in English or French, unless otherwise stated on your document checklist:
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (see below for details); and
  • a certified copy of the original document.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Hi Wakki, it's interesting because there seems to be different interpretations. Unless the concept has changed, I remember the checklist stating WHEN an Original was requested. So when it says "Unless stated in your checklist..." it meant that unless an Original was requested, you should send certified copies. That's how friends of mine interpreted it as well and it was ok.

In any case, it's better to check the checklist, the info should be there, if not, just call CIC to clear it out, so you save time and money if not needed.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi Wakki, it's interesting because there seems to be different interpretations. Unless the concept has changed, I remember the checklist stating WHEN an Original was requested. So when it says "Unless stated in your checklist..." it meant that unless an Original was requested, you should send certified copies. That's how friends of mine interpreted it as well and it was ok.

In any case, it's better to check the checklist, the info should be there, if not, just call CIC to clear it out, so you save time and money if not needed.