+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transitional Provision Fee??? What do I pay?

CanadianPrairieGent

Aug 27, 2013
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Kiev
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2016
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
17-06-2016
File Transfer...
August 18, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
N/A
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
October 31, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 9, 2016
Ugh, never saw any mention of a "transitional provision fee" in the guide that the CIC agents keep referring me to, and now it's time to pay, print the receipt, and FedEx my documents. Could the language/wording be any more confusing? . . . And, English is my native language!

Some help from the sages here, please, because the phone only rings busy at the CIC.

I'm doing an outland family sponsorship of my Ukrainian wife and 16 year-old stepdaughter, who is single and has no dependents.

My previous calculations (based on Guide 3900) were as follows:
- Sponsor Fee $75
- Principal Applicant $475
- Dependent child aged under 19, unmarried & not in a common-law relationship $150
- Right of Permanent Residence Fee $490
For a total of $1190

That's what I thought I owed, but now, when I go to pay online, there is a seemingly new fee, called the Transitional Provision, and because of crazy and confusing definitions/wording, I can't understand if I owe another $550, because of this section on the payment screen:
"Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the principal applicant or, where a transitional provision applies, a family member of the principal applicant who is 22 years of age or older $550"

OR, if I owe another $150, based on the definition of "Transitional Provision" further below on the screen, saying this:
Where a transitional provision applies, a family member of the principal applicant who:

- is under 22 years of age, unmarried and not in a common-law relationship, or
- is 22 years of age or older and has been unable to be financially self-supporting since before the age of 22, due to a physical or mental condition

$150

Please help . . . and thanks! Going to be sooooooo very happy when I FedEx this package today! :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You had it right the first time.

Understand that the fees are generic, applying to many situations. The $550 fee you were unsure about applies when a person AND their spouse are being sponsored, such as in parent sponsorship. The "transitional provision" part refers to previous rules where the dependent age was under 22 years old and certain dependents 22 or older could still be included; as there are still some apps being processed under those previous rules, CIC still lists the fees.

CanadianPrairieGent

Aug 27, 2013
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Kiev
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2016
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
17-06-2016
File Transfer...
August 18, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
N/A
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
October 31, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 9, 2016
Thanks so much canuck_in_uk. If I ever meet you, I owe you a drink or five for your help. :)