+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transition to spousal work permit from PGWP

frz077

May 23, 2020
Hi,

I am on a PGWP which will expire in August 2021. My wife will finish her masters soon and will get a 3 year PGWP. Suppose, my work permit is about to expire in 2021 and I still haven't been eligible to apply for PR. In that case, can I apply for spousal work permit without having to leave Canada? What are the transitioning procedures? Will they kick me out of Canada when mine expires?
Thanks for your response.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I am on a PGWP which will expire in August 2021. My wife will finish her masters soon and will get a 3 year PGWP. Suppose, my work permit is about to expire in 2021 and I still haven't been eligible to apply for PR. In that case, can I apply for spousal work permit without having to leave Canada? What are the transitioning procedures? Will they kick me out of Canada when mine expires?
Thanks for your response.
If your wife has a skilled job and 3 payslips, you can apply for a work permit based on her PGWP. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What if it takes time for her to get a skilled/NOC 0,A, or B job? And my work permit expires?
If you want to remain in Canada, you would need to apply to change your status to visitor before your work permit expires.