+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transit VISA Through USA to Canada

J4M15

Jan 7, 2020
Category........
FAM
Hello,

Is it possible to fly through the USA with a transit VISA if we have an immigration visa for Canada? I
The immigration visa is granted for permanent residency.
We are concerned that there may be issues flying through the USA with such an immigration VISA.

Can anyone please confirm this for us?

Thank you,.

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM
If your own country requirements need a visa to enter USA, you need to secure that transit or visitor visa from the USA to get thru going to Canada. That might be a hassle so better to try to find other flights not passing thru the USA to avoid this headache even if it is more expensive.

I thought of that for my wife and her daughter from Philippines when they get COPR and comparing the advantages and inconveniences. We decided it is better to find flights not going thru the USA.

J4M15

Jan 7, 2020
Category........
FAM
Thank you for your quick response.

This is our fear as well - that we'd have issues with the immigration visa transiting through the USA. However, ticket prices into Canada are extreme without passing through the USA. I wonder if anyone has experience doing this that can quiet our fears and save us money.

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM

This is our fear as well - that we'd have issues with the immigration visa transiting through the USA. However, ticket prices into Canada are extreme without passing through the USA. I wonder if anyone has experience doing this that can quiet our fears and save us money.
You are supposed to secure a transit VISA before going thru and not on arrival because you will certainly be returned to where you came from. You can find requirements at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/other-visa-categories/transit.html and it will cost 160USD per person.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

The transit visa is a separate document. Have you already secured a US transit visa? The Canadian immigration visa does not allow you to transit through the US - you have to apply for the transit visa separately.

If you already have a US transit visa, then there are no issues flying through the US.

If you do not yet have a US transit visa, then avoid flying through the US. Processing times for US visas are extremely long right now and there's also no guarantee of approvals. You have to obtain the transit visa before flying. It is not issued on arrival.

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Unless you are from Visa exempt country, US requires you to obtain Transit Visa even for airport transfers. You will go through proper immigration check in US and from port of landing your airline wont let you board flight if you dont have Transit visa or B1/B2 visa. I travelled via US in september last year with my family and we had B1/B2 visas , we had to go through full immigration check

J4M15

Jan 7, 2020
Category........
FAM
Well, I thought so however not actually. There is no confirmation from anyone who has actually experienced this, or references to the transit C visa, etc. I'm not confident to try this method until the answer is clear.
I'm currently awaiting a response from a US embassy; If I get a clear answer I will be sure to let others know.

Reactions: Ponga