+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transit visa requirement at London/US airports

warpeduniverse

Apr 28, 2019
Hi

So I was looking at flights from India to Toronto, and many of them have a layover at London(UK), New York or Newark. These flights are cheaper than flights via other European countries where transit visa is not required.

My question is whether Indians traveling to Canada just after receiving CoPR require a transit visa?

The UK Govt. site says that it is not required if we are going to Canada, as long as we don't leave the airport.

I would appreciate if somebody who has recently traveled could throw some light on this.

Thanks in advance.

CASM

Feb 28, 2019
I have recently received my COPR and am travelling soon. Regarding New York or Newark or any of the USA airports, there are 99% chances that transit visa is "REQUIRED" and hence, I would not (personally) suggest you to travel on any flight transiting through USA. However, if you are still interested, the travel/ ticketing agent can confirm it for you! And regarding UK, pls be EXTRA CAUTIOUS with London- the city that has TWO AIRPORTS Heathrow and Gatwick which are miles apart with half of the city in between them... If your arriving at one and departing from another, that will require stepping out and then travelling which, needless to say, necessitates VISA. You can check flights with lay-over/ transit point at France, as Indian passports NOT leaving the airport transit area don't need transit visa at any French airport! check https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/

OR

Do what I did- visit skyscanner.com. First, check for any random date - say 21 Aug- and then few days before and after that date, which will enable you to get an insight into what are the flight options available and/ or on which days those flights operate, and on what dates are the cheapest of flight options available. You will certainly find good, cheaper and number of alternatives if travelling from Mumbai/ New Delhi. GOOGLE SEARCH for transit visa requirements before calling the airline offices, where you can inquire about applicability/ requirement of transit visa quoting their flight numbers specifically

warpeduniverse

Apr 28, 2019
I have recently received my COPR and am travelling soon. Regarding New York or Newark or any of the USA airports, there are 99% chances that transit visa is "REQUIRED" and hence, I would not (personally) suggest you to travel on any flight transiting through USA. However, if you are still interested, the travel/ ticketing agent can confirm it for you! And regarding UK, pls be EXTRA CAUTIOUS with London- the city that has TWO AIRPORTS Heathrow and Gatwick which are miles apart with half of the city in between them... If your arriving at one and departing from another, that will require stepping out and then travelling which, needless to say, necessitates VISA. You can check flights with lay-over/ transit point at France, as Indian passports NOT leaving the airport transit area don't need transit visa at any French airport! check https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/

OR

Do what I did- visit skyscanner.com. First, check for any random date - say 21 Aug- and then few days before and after that date, which will enable you to get an insight into what are the flight options available and/ or on which days those flights operate, and on what dates are the cheapest of flight options available. You will certainly find good, cheaper and number of alternatives if travelling from Mumbai/ New Delhi. GOOGLE SEARCH for transit visa requirements before calling the airline offices, where you can inquire about applicability/ requirement of transit visa quoting their flight numbers specifically
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am aware that there is no transit visa requirement at most Schengen airports, however, flights via Munich, Frankfurt, etc. have become very expensive due to grounding of 737 Max along with grounding of Jet Airways. The closure of Pakistan airspace via which most flights go from India also must have had an effect. However, Pakistan opened their airspace today so hopefully there will be some drop in fares.

I know that the US is a bit of a problem for transit. My question is specifically for London actually. What if we don't change the airport? I might as well apply for a transit visa, if required, as the fare difference is quite a lot.

Reactions: CASM

CASM

Feb 28, 2019
At the same airport in London, no transit visa is required if the next flight is on the same "calendar day" AND within 24 hours of arrival, I guess... Check with UK government website and also your agent/ consultant for confirmation. I mean if arrival is at night- say 10 pm and the next flight is just few hours later at 2 or 3 am, you may still need a transit visa as the "calendar day" changes. And if you are actually OK with applying for transit visa, then Munich, Frankfurt are good options because Germany REQUIRES transit visa and you get more options to choose from after Pakistan air space opening. Else, get UK transit visa and opt for a flight with long layover, so that you have sufficient time to visit London bridge or other tourist places there on your way to Canada! :)

warpeduniverse

Apr 28, 2019
At the same airport in London, no transit visa is required if the next flight is on the same "calendar day" AND within 24 hours of arrival, I guess... Check with UK government website and also your agent/ consultant for confirmation. I mean if arrival is at night- say 10 pm and the next flight is just few hours later at 2 or 3 am, you may still need a transit visa as the "calendar day" changes. And if you are actually OK with applying for transit visa, then Munich, Frankfurt are good options because Germany REQUIRES transit visa and you get more options to choose from after Pakistan air space opening. Else, get UK transit visa and opt for a flight with long layover, so that you have sufficient time to visit London bridge or other tourist places there on your way to Canada! :)
Thanks man! I have friends in London so I will explore that option as well!

But unfortunately, I have not received my PR till now. Just being prepared as I will leave as soon as it comes :)