+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transit Visa Processing taking a lot of time

gprx100

Nov 15, 2018
There's a big notice about travel documents right above the "purchase" button when you book a flight on aircanada.ca.
Thanks for your note @monkeys89, I appreciate it. Most ppl, dont purchase tickets from the airline itself, I purchased through my credit card. It shouldn't take more than 2 weeks to process a transit visa for a 2 hour layover. I guess its me at fault for no knowing the facts but its still very frustrating that I applied 5 weeks in advance of my flight and still unsure whether I will be able to fly or not.

Again nothing personal, but the process still feels quite convoluted and a hassle for harmless individuals like myself and @shreya22 who will stand to lose thousands of dollars due to the inefficiencies of this process.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
Then how could you expect Air Canada to be more proactive? The government of Canada tells you not to purchase tickets before having a visa.

I get you think it's unfair, sure, but once you're in Canadian territory you're protected by Canadian laws, including rights to fair process, travel, etc, which is why Canada takes transit visa issues seriously. If you're a risk, they don't want you in. And if there are any complications with examining your background, the visa process takes a while. This is frustrating but it's the reality and just because you purchased a ticket before you had the visa is no reason to expect the government to move heaven and earth for you.

A transit visa is a visitor visa, issued for the purpose of transiting Canada. It's a serious thing.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

gprx100

Nov 15, 2018
Then how could you expect Air Canada to be more proactive? The government of Canada tells you not to purchase tickets before having a visa.

I get you think it's unfair, sure, but once you're in Canadian territory you're protected by Canadian laws, including rights to fair process, travel, etc, which is why Canada takes transit visa issues seriously. If you're a risk, they don't want you in. And if there are any complications with examining your background, the visa process takes a while. This is frustrating but it's the reality and just because you purchased a ticket before you had the visa is no reason to expect the government to move heaven and earth for you.

A transit visa is a visitor visa, issued for the purpose of transiting Canada. It's a serious thing.

Are you affiliated with the govt? Can you review what you posted, I thought I was being fairly objective and reasonable? I am not sure how I am asking the Candian govt to move heaven and earth for a transit visa within a fairly reasonable time frame. I am not going to win this argument, thanks for your input. I am hopeful that the CA govt. can fix these inefficiencies and avoid cost to the Air Candada customers.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
There are people who get married and wait two or more years to bring their spouse to the country, and you're upset about booking a flight before checking visa requirements, despite Air Canada and the Government of Canada's warnings. I fear your privilege is showing, my friend.

Best of luck with your visa. You may wish to look into changing your flights. A five-week processing time may indicate complications with your history or your background check.

Reactions: Copingwithlife