+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transit Visa for Canada enroute to USA

Oct 12, 2022
Hi Team,

I'm scheduled to fly to Detroit, USA from New Delhi, India on Oct 22. My Air Canada flight is via Toronto (a layover of 2:45 hours) and I had no idea that a transit visa will be needed since at the time of booking it wasn't specified.

I found that it is needed and applied for it immediately. It's been 16 days since I've applied and yet no update on it. IRCC refuses to comment on a specific case and it puzzles me that a $0 transit visa which doesn't even need biometrics takes this long to process.

With less than 10 days remaining for my trip, I'm puzzled. Will really appreciate some insights.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Team,

I'm scheduled to fly to Detroit, USA from New Delhi, India on Oct 22. My Air Canada flight is via Toronto (a layover of 2:45 hours) and I had no idea that a transit visa will be needed since at the time of booking it wasn't specified.

I found that it is needed and applied for it immediately. It's been 16 days since I've applied and yet no update on it. IRCC refuses to comment on a specific case and it puzzles me that a $0 transit visa which doesn't even need biometrics takes this long to process.

With less than 10 days remaining for my trip, I'm puzzled. Will really appreciate some insights.
Rebook your route if possible. Processing of all visas is delayed right now and you're at risk for it not being approved in time.

Reactions: canuck78
Oct 12, 2022
Thank you very much for your replies. As it stands, an Air Canada flight always goes via Toronto or other Canadian airport so have to change the airline and would tend to lose $1600 USD.

Air Canada website doesn't even mention that Transit Visa is needed at the time of booking unlike Lufthansa which clearly does with a warning icon when we are selecting flights.

Air Canada's policy is that refund will only be granted if Transit Visa is REJECTED.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much for your replies. As it stands, an Air Canada flight always goes via Toronto or other Canadian airport so have to change the airline and would tend to lose $1600 USD.

Air Canada website doesn't even mention that Transit Visa is needed at the time of booking unlike Lufthansa which clearly does with a warning icon when we are selecting flights.

Air Canada's policy is that refund will only be granted if Transit Visa is REJECTED.
Then I guess you might as well wait and see if the transit visa is approved.

lucasinho

Star Member
Jul 28, 2022
Yep, transit visa is as slow as regular visitor visa. Hopefully they'll approve it on time. Best to avoid anything with Canada in it at the moment.

Reactions: sandeepkanabar

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi Team,

1. Better change your flight as posted processing time is 136 days.

inder13

Dec 17, 2018
Then I guess you might as well wait and see if the transit visa is approved.
I thought to travel via Canada, one needs a eTA (electronic travel authorization), IRCC website shows the processing time for it as 2 days. Please check if I am not understanding the ask correctly or if IRCC is slow for everything ie processing times are not followed in general.
Regards
Inder

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I thought to travel via Canada, one needs a eTA (electronic travel authorization), IRCC website shows the processing time for it as 2 days. Please check if I am not understanding the ask correctly or if IRCC is slow for everything ie processing times are not followed in general.
Regards
Inder
Only certainly individuals qualify for an eTA.

Oct 12, 2022
Yeah eTA is only for travellers from certain countries. India, unfortunately, is not the list. By the way, my transit visa application is approved. But have been asked to submit my passport for stamping. I'm not sure if it will be stamped and returned in 4 days. I'm yet to book an appointment but my travel date is Oct 23 which is saturday and so have to count Oct 22 (Friday).

Does anyone have any idea on the approx time it takes to get stamp on passport. I don't need to submit biometrics or anything. just passport alone.

gegoced845

Oct 20, 2022
Any update on this? Last summer my transit visa application was refused because I did not know that I need a visa for a connection flight in Canada. I rushed it and applied 5-6 days before my flight, so I forgot to submit some documents. Now, I am applying very early for the next summer. I still do not know how long it will take or whether it will be approved. In your case, it took 3 weeks to approve. Can you please update here so that we can have an idea about the process since there is not much information out there?

lucasinho

Star Member
Jul 28, 2022
Any update on this? Last summer my transit visa application was refused because I did not know that I need a visa for a connection flight in Canada. I rushed it and applied 5-6 days before my flight, so I forgot to submit some documents. Now, I am applying very early for the next summer. I still do not know how long it will take or whether it will be approved. In your case, it took 3 weeks to approve. Can you please update here so that we can have an idea about the process since there is not much information out there?
Are you applying for a transit visa 1 year in advance?

gegoced845

Oct 20, 2022
7 months in advance. It took 3 months last time to get a final decision. I just want to apply as early as possible since I do not know how long it will take this time. Does it have any disadvantages?