Med's Done....
February 2016
Passport Req..
4th November 2016
VISA ISSUED...
8th November 2016
LANDED..........
14th January 2017
On the website it clearly states that I need a transit visa. However, I might be eligible for transit without visa if: I come and go by air, I leave on the same day, I have a valid visa for Canada.
All of these apply to me, however... the word "might" really concerns me, as a grammar freak. Is it a yes... or is it a maybe..? I have a 3 hour layover, I don't want to miss my flight.

What do you guys think? it's another 107CAD+ road trips for the UK transit visa.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
winteravenue said:
On the website it clearly states that I need a transit visa. However, I might be eligible for transit without visa if: I come and go by air, I leave on the same day, I have a valid visa for Canada.
All of these apply to me, however... the word "might" really concerns me, as a grammar freak. Is it a yes... or is it a maybe..? I have a 3 hour layover, I don't want to miss my flight.

What do you guys think? it's another 107CAD+ road trips for the UK transit visa.
Depends on your nationality.
But in general, no transit VISA is required if you are going through Heathrow, and you have a valid VISA for US or Canada.

I am an Indian and have flown through Heathrow a few times, even changed terminals. Never had to take any visa.

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Transit visa is required only if you are going out of airport.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
satya10 said:
Not necessary. Transit Visa may be required even if you stay Airside. It all depends on which passport you carry, and which other VISA you have on your passport.

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
satya10 said:
Yeah. transit visa is required in some countries even if you are in their airspace. All depends on nationality.
As for Indian citizens, no transit VISA is required if you are travelling to/from USA/ Canada within same day and do not go out of airport.
I have traveled multiple times via LHR and never had any issues.

crama123

Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
Hong Kong PCC
AOR Received.
31-May-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
09-Feb-2014
Med's Done....
05-Mar-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-May-2014
LANDED..........
20-July-2014
sharat_joshi77 said:
Yeah. transit visa is required in some countries even if you are in their airspace. All depends on nationality.
As for Indian citizens, no transit VISA is required if you are travelling to/from USA/ Canada within same day and do not go out of airport.
I have traveled multiple times via LHR and never had any issues.
For Indian Citizens travelling to/from USA/Canada, you need to make sure your Canadian or USA visa is valid as on that day of travel.

For eg, if you are on implied status in Canada on the date of travel then on the way back home you would require a transit visa at LHR

XpressEnterprise

May 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, PK (old)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2008
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2007 (Investor)
AOR Received.
19-08-2008
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
20-04-2011 (London, UK)
Med's Request
29-08-2012 / 29-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2012 / 20-06-2014
Interview........
01-12-2010 (Damascus, Syria)
Passport Req..
21-02-2012 (PPR1) / 15-10-2014 (PPR1 with chart) / 17-11-2014 (PPR2)
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2014 (Received on 01-01-2015)
LANDED..........
12-04-2015 (PR Card : 09-07-2015)
Assuming you're a citizen of Moldova residing in Romania and transiting through UK and final destination is Canada

As long as you transit through London Gatwick (LGW),London Heathrow (LHR) or Manchester (MAN) and departing same day before 23:59 ... you can transit under TWOV (Transit Without Visa).

On a UK GOV website, it states as follow:

You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:

• a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)
  • a residence permit issued by Australia or New Zealand
  • a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
  • a resident permit issued by Canada after 28 June 2002
  • a uniform format category D visa for entry into a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section)
  • a Schengen Approved Destination Scheme (ADS) group tourism visa where the holder is travelling to the Schengen country that issued the visa
  • a flight ticket from the Schengen area, if you can prove that you entered the Schengen area in the previous 30 days on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa
  • a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
  • a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
  • an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
  • a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)
All visas and residence permits must be valid.

Source : https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/moldova/transit/somewhere_else/no

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Hi,
I can add my anecdotal experience.

1. I have transited via UK Heathrow about 6 times (Between India and US) and I have never had to pass through the UK passport control. I am an Indian citizen, so of course I need a visa for UK entry. Each time I had a valid visa for the US, and it was checked by airline staff before boarding the 1st leg of the flight when coming into the US, no one checked anything when I went to India via LHR.

2. Recently I got my Canadian PR and I am still working in US on H1B visa. I went to India via LHR and had a 9 hour layover. I decided to test the TWOV rule and try to do some sightseeing. I exited the airport and reached UK passport control. I was completely honest in my intention to do some sightseeing/eating in London before taking my onward flight. I politely asked if I can get a concession. I showed my H1B visa and Canada PR. The agent seemed more interested in my H1B than my Canada PR, maybe because I was flying in from the US and not Canada. He also checked my onward boarding pass. He noted my visa details and stamped my passport with 24 hour entry permission to UK.

I think some factors that helped me in situation 2 were:
- All my heavy luggage was checked through to India, its not a good sign to the agent if you are carrying lot of luggage, I only had a backpack.

- After my long flight from the US, I paid for a lounge and took a shower, shaved and changed into new clothes, appearances matter!

Hope this helps someone!

kaku

Nov 22, 2009
Dear Friends,
Similar situation here. I will be traveling from Lahore to Toronto via Heathrow. I will arrive at 3:00 pm on April 10 an depart at 2:55 pm on April 11. I am Permanent Resident of Canada as well as have valid US Visitor Visa.
I have reserved hotel near to the airport. I will be traveling with my wife and 6 year old kid. Hopefully my luggage would be booked all the way to Toronto from Lahore. Would I be able get Tranit visa for 24 hours ?

Thanks

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Hi,
I can add my anecdotal experience.

1. I have transited via UK Heathrow about 6 times (Between India and US) and I have never had to pass through the UK passport control. I am an Indian citizen, so of course I need a visa for UK entry. Each time I had a valid visa for the US, and it was checked by airline staff before boarding the 1st leg of the flight when coming into the US, no one checked anything when I went to India via LHR.

2. Recently I got my Canadian PR and I am still working in US on H1B visa. I went to India via LHR and had a 9 hour layover. I decided to test the TWOV rule and try to do some sightseeing. I exited the airport and reached UK passport control. I was completely honest in my intention to do some sightseeing/eating in London before taking my onward flight. I politely asked if I can get a concession. I showed my H1B visa and Canada PR. The agent seemed more interested in my H1B than my Canada PR, maybe because I was flying in from the US and not Canada. He also checked my onward boarding pass. He noted my visa details and stamped my passport with 24 hour entry permission to UK.

I think some factors that helped me in situation 2 were:
- All my heavy luggage was checked through to India, its not a good sign to the agent if you are carrying lot of luggage, I only had a backpack.

- After my long flight from the US, I paid for a lounge and took a shower, shaved and changed into new clothes, appearances matter!

Hope this helps someone!
Hi,
Can you please help me to understand one thing. Which terminal did you arrived at and departed from London Heathrow. And at which terminal, arrival or departure terminal did you get your 24 hrs entry permission.

GlenGc

Sep 14, 2018
Hi i need some guidence regarding transit visa.. I am on student visa in Canada, I am going for vacation to India my flight is from Toronto to Dublin, Dublin to London and London to Mumbai, I am landing in London(LHR) on 8.05am and my connecting flight is on 9.30 am on the same day.. So do I need a transit visa?

Marina121

Jul 12, 2019
Hi i need some guidence regarding transit visa.. I am on student visa in Canada, I am going for vacation to India my flight is from Toronto to Dublin, Dublin to London and London to Mumbai, I am landing in London(LHR) on 8.05am and my connecting flight is on 9.30 am on the same day.. So do I need a transit visa?
Hi there,

Could you please share your experience with transit visa?

I am in a similar situation. I will be flying from Vancouver to Russia with layovers in London (Heathrow) and Helsinki (Finland).

Have you eventually got the transit visa?

frnddeep

Apr 8, 2012
Canadian PR holder can enter in UK without Visa dueing layover if they have connecting flight on same day or next day but Visa is valid only until next connecting flight which has to be same day or next day. My case
From Airport to -- TOronto--------> 6:30 PM (23 Nov)
Layover Airport -- Heathrow------->Landed at 6:00 AM (24 Nov) --> connecting flight to Delhi at 6 PM (24-Nov) --->I was allowed to go out
FInal Destination - Delhi

From Airport to -- Delhi--------> 10:30 AM (24 Dec)
Layover Airport -- Heathrow------->Landed at 5 :00 PM (24 Dec ) --> connecting flight to Toronto at 6 PM (25-Dec) --->I was allowed to go out
FInal Destination - Toronto

You can stay in UK for only one night but not 2 nights so time duration can be more thn 24 hrs just like in my case

Reactions: Samoinp

hdpatel1991

Sep 21, 2019
Canadian PR holder can enter in UK without Visa dueing layover if they have connecting flight on same day or next day but Visa is valid only until next connecting flight which has to be same day or next day. My case
From Airport to -- TOronto--------> 6:30 PM (23 Nov)
Layover Airport -- Heathrow------->Landed at 6:00 AM (24 Nov) --> connecting flight to Delhi at 6 PM (24-Nov) --->I was allowed to go out
FInal Destination - Delhi

From Airport to -- Delhi--------> 10:30 AM (24 Dec)
Layover Airport -- Heathrow------->Landed at 5 :00 PM (24 Dec ) --> connecting flight to Toronto at 6 PM (25-Dec) --->I was allowed to go out
FInal Destination - Toronto

You can stay in UK for only one night but not 2 nights so time duration can be more thn 24 hrs just like in my case
Hi, thank you for sharing this info.
How much did they charge you for the entry into UK ?

do they stamp the passport ?