+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transit in Frankfurt and Munich - Landing for Canada for 1st time - Please advise

kingofpsg

Star Member
Jul 26, 2017
Hi All

I'm planning to do a soft landing in Jan 2019. My onward journey has a transit in Frankfurt for 4 hours and return journey has a transit in Munich for 10 hours.

I"m Indian but i hold my COPR and Category 1 - IM1 Immigrant visa affixed in my passport.

I have noticed in German airport website that Indians require Transit visa even if we are just changing planes.
But the airport website also says that Canadian PRs do not require Transit visa.

Have any Indian transited via German airports recently, did they ask you for transit visa even if we have COPR and IM1 pasted in passport?

can you please advise.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi All

I'm planning to do a soft landing in Jan 2019. My onward journey has a transit in Frankfurt for 4 hours and return journey has a transit in Munich for 10 hours.

I"m Indian but i hold my COPR and Category 1 - IM1 Immigrant visa affixed in my passport.

I have noticed in German airport website that Indians require Transit visa even if we are just changing planes.
But the airport website also says that Canadian PRs do not require Transit visa.

Have any Indian transited via German airports recently, did they ask you for transit visa even if we have COPR and IM1 pasted in passport?

can you please advise.
No you won't need a transit visa, because you have Canada visa in your passport.
https://www.germany.info/blob/917514/80e28ec8a47bb057c06ca4023b155842/airport-transit-country-list-data.pdf

kingofpsg

Star Member
Jul 26, 2017
Thank you very much for your swift response with this. Let me take a print out of this and carry this document. You made my day cheers.

Sigh of relief!!!

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Thank you very much for your swift response with this. Let me take a print out of this and carry this document. You made my day cheers.

Sigh of relief!!!
You're welcome.
On a different yet not unrelated note, are you planning on returning to India before your receive your PR card?
If so, do know you'll need a PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document) to be allowed to board from India without PR card. Other option is to enter Canada through a land border from the United States with just CoPR.

If you use the same path through Frankfurt, you can then use your expired visa, as mentioned in the PDF link.

kingofpsg

Star Member
Jul 26, 2017
You're welcome.
On a different yet not unrelated note, are you planning on returning to India before your receive your PR card?
If so, do know you'll need a PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document) to be allowed to board from India without PR card. Other option is to enter Canada through a land border from the United States with just CoPR.

If you use the same path through Frankfurt, you can then use your expired visa, as mentioned in the PDF link.
I thought of giving my friend's address to deliver the PR card so that I can collect it later when he travels to India or via courier. Is that not an option??

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
I thought of giving my friend's address to deliver the PR card so that I can collect it later when he travels to India or via courier. Is that not an option??
Many have done the same yes.
If your friend receives your PR card, sure he can bring it to you in India. I would usually advise against courier (even FedEx, UPS...), as it may get lost...

Reactions: kingofpsg

kingofpsg

Star Member
Jul 26, 2017
Many have done the same yes.
If your friend receives your PR card, sure he can bring it to you in India. I would usually advise against courier (even FedEx, UPS...), as it may get lost...
Oh okies. Thanks a lot for the advise . I'll rather wait and collect in person from my friend

Akots

Nov 6, 2018
Hello so on return journey after soft landing, did you require transit visa at the airport?

I have my flight in couple of days. Please guide.

Hi All

can you please advise.

rj20

Feb 26, 2020
hi, just the same clarfication. I also intend to do a soft landing and return quickly on IM-1 via germany? Do i need a transit visa for the return leg?

ntkotian

Jan 24, 2018
India
NOC Code......
if we have Canada or USA visa on passport , then transit visa not required for Germany - Frankrut, if we stay in airport for duration less than 24 hrs. This is valid currently. request to check for future travels.

jadam121

Jun 23, 2022
is this still valid now? :-D
I am a Pakistani passport holder, going for my soft landing for the first time to Canada and transiting at frankfurt airport.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
is this still valid now? :-D
I am a Pakistani passport holder, going for my soft landing for the first time to Canada and transiting at frankfurt airport.
You can transit from Frankfurt. No transit visa is needed for less than 24 hours stay within airport.

Reactions: jadam121